Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamPhoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
original.jpg

The Next Great American Arist contest sponsored by Kirkland's has selected my photograph from 1,700 entries to be among the 10 finalists. The photo was shot in rural Italy a couple of years ago, and shows a rustic green door surrounded by pink flowers. Voting is done online, and the grand prize is $5000 and a contract to sell the photos in Kirkland's retail stores nationwide.

To see my photo go to Kirkland's voting site.

Wish me luck...I stand a chance of winning if I can get enough votes!

~Sam

JNB

macrumors 604
Very nice! I like the color contrasts in it a lot. Do you recall your aperture on that shot? I think that I would've fallen into using the "usual" rules, either opening up or stopping down from wherever you did, to either bring the foreground more into or completely out of focus. Either way, I thing you made an interestingly compelling shot, blending color and composition, and nicely combining defined angles and random shapes.

Here's one I took in San Antonio a few years back, both my finished and the original...

Oh, yeah, you got my vote!

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
I voted for you 4 times! I have many unused email addresses. Very nice picture. I like it a lot.

SamPhoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Wow, thank you!!! I really appreciate your help and support!
I'm also glad you like the photo. Italy is a beautiful place.

SamPhoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Very nice! I like the color contrasts in it a lot. Do you recall your aperture on that shot? I think that I would've fallen into using the "usual" rules, either opening up or stopping down from wherever you did, to either bring the foreground more into or completely out of focus. Either way, I thing you made an interestingly compelling shot, blending color and composition, and nicely combining defined angles and random shapes.

Here's one I took in San Antonio a few years back, both my finished and the original...

Oh, yeah, you got my vote!

I don't recall what the exif info is, but I could look it up on the RAW file. Quite frankly, it was a grab shot in late afternoon light high on a hiking trail. I didn't have a tripod so I had to handhold the best I could. I would have liked to get a couple with greater depth of field to see how it would look, but I didn't have that luxury!

Nice shot from San Antonio! Interesting treatment in Photoshop, too. Isn't it great having a digital 'darkroom'?
~Sam

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Very cool! I'll be looking for a new thread that says "I'm a contest winner!":)

Perhaps I am being a bit sceptical but this is the first ever post from the OP (and all of their posts have been in this thread) so is this just a way of getting more votes for their picture.

SamPhoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Perhaps I am being a bit sceptical but this is the first ever post from the OP (and all of their posts have been in this thread) so is this just a way of getting more votes for their picture.

Well, I've been a lurker here for ages. I'm a mac user and photographer.
Peace! / ~Sam

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Wife is a contest finalist...

My Wife is a contest finalist all of the time as well according to Publishers Clearing House, don't believe me, check my mailbox.:rolleyes:

Nice pic samphoto, goodluck.:)

SamPhoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
My Wife is a contest finalist all of the time as well according to Publishers Clearing House, don't believe me, check my mailbox.:rolleyes:

Nice pic samphoto, goodluck.:)

LOL! Yeah, I guess I am too now that you mention it!
Thank you, and thank you too redrabbit!

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space

I think you may be on to something--look how well the plan seems to be working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.