Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
And I prolly won't see the cat for a week. :eek:

I forgot these guys were practicing for commencement week..until they pulled a 5G turn over our house a few minutes ago. :D

bahg.jpg

Any other air enthusiasts?

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Sharewaredemon said:
Nice iGary, I pity your cat.

I had a ladyfriend once who has a cat that is terrified of thunderstorms.

Just a quick capture out the window. Pity I had the ISO jacked up without knowing it, or it might have actually turned out well.

Yeah, no sign of cat. :confused:

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
iSaint said:
Sooo cool! Never seen the Blue Angels. But the Thunderbirds come through here every other year or so. So I've seen them many times.

Are you going to shoot their show for commencment?

I think so - I just can't decide whether to take pictures from the Academy grounds or go out on the water...been feeling kind of unmotivated lately. :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've seen them several times out here in the Bay Area for Fleet Week, but the one I remember most was when I was in San Diego for a summer and they were out there for the Miramar air show. I was staying on the top floor of a dorm at UCSD, and we just happened to be at the turnaround point for their runs over the airfield.

Standing on my balcony, I could see every detail of the planes. It felt (and sounded) like they were no more than 100 feet overhead, but it was obviously much more than that.

iGary said:
I think so - I just can't decide whether to take pictures from the Academy grounds or go out on the water...been feeling kind of unmotivated lately. :eek:

*seeks out proper motivational instrument...nope sorry, don't know you well enough to finish that joke.

But personally, I think photos from out on the water would be really picture-skew :D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
joepunk said:
iGary, is part of your area closed off from the public when they practice as they do in Seattle. They had to shut down I-90 just to let them practice last year.

By the way rocket launcher in car, 2005

I guess they are afraid of someone's rocket launcher so that is why I-90 gets closed.

Yes - they fly down the Severn River so they close of the route 450 bridge; both for the practices and the demonstration. Most of the river is closed off, and the vieiwing area in the water is contained by the USCG.

No one is going to be stupid enough to launch a rocket on the Academy grounds...I hope.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I've always wanted to see the Blue Angels, especially Fat Albert doing the rocket launch take off. :cool:

Anyone know how they compare to the Red Arrows?

redarr1l.gif

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
EGT said:
I've always wanted to see the Blue Angels, especially Fat Albert doing the rocket launch take off. :cool:

redarr1l.gif

Actually, their land-based shows are loads better than the ones they do on the water - guess they have more room to move around. I saw them once at PAX Naval AS a week after Naval Academy week and the show was just tons better. Lots of high-speed passes and such that they don't do over the water, I guess.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
yeah i've seen the blue angels every year. the project i work on has just relocated outside some hangers so i get to feel the rumble of after burners all the time, its great. also, got some pretty good view of the blue angels as they were practicing for the airshow that was down here a few weeks ago. really cool stuff. nothing like walking along and having jets take off right next to you, very surreal!

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
iGary said:
I decided to go. It was a nice day to shoot. I'll post a gallery later, maybe.

Are they close enough? :eek:
Its hard to tell how close they are to each other. They could be spread out a bit in the horizontal plane. I wish I had a lens that was over 150mm. :(

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
those are BA! i like to fly though i wish i could fly more often. i got to fly in a little puddle jumper a few weeks back. it was a single prop aircraft and i flew from marithon key florida to miami... it was quite nice.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
EGT said:

redarr1l.gif

i had a chance to go see Fat Albert and the Angels at Bush Field airport in Augusta, GA but it never happened. i hear they put on a great show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.