Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I just closed and deleted my Spotify account due to their attitude over this, but I only had the free one anyway. I’m testing / using Deezer at the moment and have stopped my Apple Music sub, I’m finding Deezer to be better for me then both of the other two services but I’ll see how it goes.

I found with Apple music I was having the effect of tracks jumping and skipping like when you knock a CD or record player when using it in my car, through my iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggaenald

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
I was one of Spotify's first subscribers as long ago as 2008. When Apple launched Apple Music with a family subscription option right from the start, I emailed Spotify to ask if they planned to launch anything similar, because I was a long-serving satisfied subscriber who didn't particularly want the hassle of migrating to a competitor's service, but this was a game-changer for me and my family. All I got was a wall of corporate radio-silence, so I voted with my feet.

I notice that they do now offer a family option, but it's too late, I won't ever go back. Had they replied even just to say yes it is in the pipeline but they couldn't say exactly when it will be launched, likely I would have waited. But the silent treatment, after being a 'valued' customer for literally years almost since inception, no I cannot deal with that. A company that doesn't have the decency to respond to a long-standing subscriber who has asked a quite reasonable question via the 'contact us' email address they publicly publish, isn't worthy of my custom.

Last edited:

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I've ditched Spotify as well but I went with Tidal... Apple Music seems very hard to use, and like @Pezimak above, I found tracks would skip and stutter, which seemed pretty bizarre.

I am not averse to trying Apple Music again, but I'm kinda wondering if I was somehow using it wrong.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
A company that doesn't have the decency to respond to a long-standing subscriber who has asked a quite reasonable question via the 'contact us' email address they publicly publish, isn't worthy of my custom.

Must not like you. I have contacted them several times over the years and always got a response at worst within a couple of days.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Must not like you. I have contacted them several times over the years and always got a response at worst within a couple of days.
Didn't like my question, more like. Many companies clam-up when you ask them a strategic question about their future direction, because you could be a competitor. In this case they lost a long-term subscriber, but i doubt Daniel Ek lost any sleep over it.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I like some of the AM curated playlists and wish I could have this in the AM app and my own curated library of unique music in another app. It's just a mess trying to get it to work properly...

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Apple music has improved a ton since I was using it a year ago. Loving the lossless and remastered tracks. Also I own 3 homepod minis. I'm enjoying it a lot. They've improved discoverability. It sounds incredible on the new M1 Macbook I must say.

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I've been trying all of them recently.

Amazon Music is okay. Like with all Amazon services, it is just okay and "good enough", it has nothing special and UI looks horrible, I hate the transparent background design. It is nice they include lossless and hi-res in the price like Apple Music does. As a Prime member, I want to like Amazon Music more for that bundle price.

Apple Music is good. Cross platform support is getting better, but Windows on iTunes is still horrible. Music on Mac isn't much better to be honest, it is buggy. Yeah, the algorithms and playlists are slightly better on Spotify, but I think Apple Music is better in most ways, and it is nice they include lossless, hi-res and Atmos at no extra cost.

Deezer is okay. The search on Deezer is pretty bad and the apps are quite buggy. It is also slightly more expensive than the competition, they only go to CD quality, but that is more than enough for most people. They also have quite strict limitations on the amount of songs you can add to your library.

Spotify is good. Controversies and lack of lossless aside, Spotify is kind of the standard. The app is more feature rich than most the others and there are loads of playlists. They recently lifted restrictions on library size. I still keep the free version running to sometimes move playlists to Apple Music.

Tidal is okay. Tidal Hi-Fi is now $10 a month. Also, the only one mentioned with Exclusive Mode, so on Windows and Mac it will correctly match the bitrate. The problems with Tidal are that all the apps are buggy. A 10,000 song library limit. Some smaller artists are not on Tidal and I have heard of some smaller artists not receiving payment from Tidal. Tidal also has good integration with DJ apps and audiophile streamers if you are into that. If they got rid of the 10k song limit and made the apps more stable, I would probably move to Tidal.

YouTube Music is just horrible. No basic features like normalisation. The interface is horrible. Audio quality is the worst. It is a shame, because the YouTube Premium bundle is a good deal if you watch a lot of YouTube. YouTube Music is probably fine for just a casual music listener as an added extra to Premium, but for more serious music listeners I would stay clear, unless you listen to really obscure music that is only available on YouTube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.