Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Finger Print Magnet But Worth it?

• Yes - i'll have a case and now it will look like matte black

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No - i dont like cases nor fingerprints

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Sure - I don't like cases and don't give a crap about fingerprints

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Born Again

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2011
Norcal
v4me5u.jpg

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Don't put magnets near your phone unless you want to destroy your data or corrupt firmware and cause your phone to malfunction. It probably voids warranty too.

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
On the bright side, perhaps that thick layer of caked on finger grease will reduce the chance of scratches when you glance at it wrong.

Reactions: Born Again

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Ummm...do you really think that iPhones have spinning magnetic drives? Wow...just wow...
Of course not and it's not only magnetic drives. Firmware and flash memory store bits that are electrically charged and a magnet will zap it. Not saying it always happens but why risk it. Yes wow just wow.

Last edited:

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Of course not and it's not only magnetic drives. Firmware and flash memory store bits that are electrically charged and a magnet will zap it. Not saying it always happens by why risk it. Yes wow just wow.
Not only do iPads have magnets inside them, people have been using magnetic car mounts for years with Zero issues related to the magnets.

This theory is thoroughly debunked for modern technology, especially iDevices.

Reactions: jbachandouris

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Yeah that's why iPads have magnets INSIDE THEM for connecting Smart Covers.
iPads have a larger footprint they can place a tiny magnet in a safe area by design. I still wouldn't use those cases when I have thousand other options.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
iPads have a larger footprint they can place a tiny magnet in a safe area by design. I still wouldn't use those cases when I have thousand other options.
What cases? Smart Covers? Or are you referring to the magnetic car mounts that are not cases at all?

Regardless, there is no evidence whatsoever that magnets can cause any hardware damage to iPhones at all. None. Zero. Ziltch. Even if it was a remote possibility caused by the most extreme of conditions, it would be well known, because of sheer number of users.

Nothing of the sort has ever been reported, let alone proven. You're free to do whatever you want, but don't spread false information to other people.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Regardless, there is no evidence whatsoever that magnets can cause any hardware damage to iPhones at all. None. Zero. Ziltch. Even if it was a remote possibility caused by the most extreme of conditions, it would be well known, because of sheer number of users.

Nothing of the sort has ever been reported, let alone proven. You're free to do whatever you want, but don't spread false information to other people.
Huh? False information??? Give me a break you apparently have lots to learn you have no clue. Extreme conditions would mean placing a large magnet against your phone and moving it around for a few minutes, give it a try if you feel strongly about nothing happening.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Huh? False information??? Give me a break you apparently have lots to learn you have no clue. Extreme conditions would mean placing a large magnet against your phone and moving it around for a few minutes, give it a try if you feel strongly about nothing happening.
The statement that placing magnets near an iPhone will cause hardware issues/data loss is false. Provably, demonstrably, false.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
The statement that placing magnets near an iPhone will cause hardware issues/data loss is false. Provably, demonstrably, false.
Well they probably make the iPhones somewhat magnetic proof it seems to affect mostly the compass and NFC chip, I just checked.

shayneox

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
get back on topic fellas....Chelu wash your hands :D Don't eat bacon before you pick up your phone...problem solved.
Case user here..will have a case before I get the phone, also got silver to avoid this issue in case I want to have it naked in my hands.

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
That looks nasty. I want to switch to matte black, but I don't want a longer delay. Leather case will be my solution if I can't find a matte black locally.

Just keep checking at Apple Stores and places like Best Buy. I was in the Apple store in Spokane, WA on Saturday, and they had plenty of everything but Jet Black.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
My daughter's grade school principal recently told me that kids shouldn't use iPads because the flickering caused by scan lines in the display mess with the child's brain rhythms (or something to that effect).

I struggled very hard not to tell him that iPad displays don't have picture tubes, and the advice he's repeating came from the 1980's.

The "avoid magnets" advice is similar. It was a real issue not long ago, but no longer is.

But it is hard to keep up. Technology changes fast.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
That looks terrible! Loving my matte black 7. Pics don't do it justice. It is a deep black..very classy and stealthy looking.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
It seems like, all of the sudden it's a very big problem to have fingerprints on the back of a phone. Oddly enough, because people doesn´t seem to give a **** about fingerprints on the front. o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.