Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXBY

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2015
There are quite a few "To Do" list apps out there, but what I'm looking for is a Checklist app for recurring tasks. I want to be served with checklists on my wrist via reminders at set times/intervals.

The closest thing I know of on iOS is a rather obscure app called Checklist Wrangler that recreates tasks daily, weekly, etc, depending on how often that checklist is needed.

I have quite the regiment/routine to follow at fixed times. Ideally, I would like checklists to appear on my wrist with a reminder at the exact time they are needed, so that I can easily check stuff off. And then the next day, it repeats.

Is there such an app or are there any task managers that could do this?
I have tried Todoist but I didn't find it to be specific and accessible enough for my use case.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
There are quite a few "To Do" list apps out there, but what I'm looking for is a Checklist app for recurring tasks. I want to be served with checklists on my wrist via reminders at set times/intervals.

The closest thing I know of on iOS is a rather obscure app called Checklist Wrangler that recreates tasks daily, weekly, etc, depending on how often that checklist is needed.

I have quite the regiment/routine to follow at fixed times. Ideally, I would like checklists to appear on my wrist with a reminder at the exact time they are needed, so that I can easily check stuff off. And then the next day, it repeats.

Is there such an app or are there any task managers that could do this?
I have tried Todoist but I didn't find it to be specific and accessible enough for my use case.
One option that might be silly sounding is WebMD's medication reminder that can be setup for many times per day, per med, etc.

I use things for to do's and it has reoccurring and I think timeframe but I would need to check.

MXBY

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2015
Could you set a series of reminders in the stock Reminders app, and have them repeating every day?

The stock Reminders app is what I use currently, but that doesn't bring up checklists on your wrist to check off. The Reminders app is just what it sounds like – reminders. Also, there isn't a Reminders app on the Apple Watch so I can't complete the tasks from there.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Reminders nano for the Apple Watch looks like a reminder app Apple would make. Try it. You can see all your lists and a separate list for scheduled reminders. Notifications work just like before through the default reminder app from the phone. But you open reminders nano to see your lists. I also like that when you install it the name of the app changes to just reminders on the watch and phone. Just hide it in a folder and you are set. I'm set until Apple releases their own app.

Reactions: ladytonya

MXBY

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2015
Reminders nano for the Apple Watch looks like a reminder app Apple would make. Try it. You can see all your lists and a separate list for scheduled reminders. Notifications work just like before through the default reminder app from the phone. But you open reminders nano to see your lists. I also like that when you install it the name of the app changes to just reminders on the watch and phone. Just hide it in a folder and you are set. I'm set until Apple releases their own app.

Thanks for your reply!

I actually found an app that suited my requirements quite well. Not perfect, but it does the job rather good at the moment.

It's called TickTick, and as far as I can tell it is a powerful task manager for iOS as well.

It has one further level of hierarchy than Apple's Reminders. I have set up different lists, and in them are recurring tasks with recurring reminders, but those tasks can also have sub-tasks in a checklist that can be crossed off.

Two examples from my hierarchy:

Daily Schedule (list) > 08:00 Morning Routine (task) > Take vitamins (checklist item)
Weekly Schedule (list) > Sunday Review (task) > Check unread emails (checklist item)

The best thing was that it had exactly the functionality I wanted:

* Recurring tasks
* Sub-task checklists
* Ability to go directly from WatchOS notification -> List of tasks

There are room for improvements, like taking the user directly to the relevant task from WatchOS reminder notification. Right now it takes you to the top task list from the notification – however this may be due to Apple's limitations in notification->app linkage in WatchOS at the moment and not specific to just this app.

I'm actually surprised I found what I was looking for, given the rather sparse condition of Apple Watch apps today.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for your reply!

I actually found an app that suited my requirements quite well. Not perfect, but it does the job rather good at the moment.

It's called TickTick, and as far as I can tell it is a powerful task manager for iOS as well.

It has one further level of hierarchy than Apple's Reminders. I have set up different lists, and in them are recurring tasks with recurring reminders, but those tasks can also have sub-tasks in a checklist that can be crossed off.

Daily Schedule (list) > 08:00 Morning Routine (task) > Take vitamins (checklist item)
Weekly Schedule (list) > Sunday Review (task) > Check unread emails (checklist item)

* Recurring tasks
* Sub-task checklists

There are room for improvements, like taking the user directly to the relevant task from WatchOS reminder notification. Right now it takes you to the top task list from the notification – however this may be due to Apple's limitations in notification->app linkage in WatchOS at the moment and not specific to just this app.

I'm actually surprised I found what I was looking for, given the rather sparse condition of Apple Watch apps today.

Does this tie into Reminders? Or is it a standalone task manager?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Sub tasks is something I want Apple to add to the reminders app as well.

MXBY

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2015
Does this tie into Reminders? Or is it a standalone task manager?

I'm not really sure, but there is at least some Reminders integration from what I can see on the TickTick website.

If you add a reminder via Siri, it will import that reminder to TickTick and then delete it from Reminders. So it's basically a Siri/Reminders integration but it will "outsource" reminders handling to the app. So I'm not sure how it would work if you use multiple applications that access Apple Reminders.

The app is free to try so you can look around if you like.

Personally I don't use one single app for all tasks, instead I have different systems for different use cases:
  • TickTick for recurring checklists only – about 5 reminders per day with a total of 30 sub-tasks. I basically only use it to feed my Apple Watch, but appears like a powerful task manager on iOS also.

• Apple Reminders for recurring reminders that don't require checklist sub-tasks, as well as always-active location-based alerts. I also use Apple Watch Siri for "on-the-fly" reminders, like "remind me to empty the garbage bin when I get home".

• Pocket Informant for the heavy-lifting To-Do/Project and Calendar management. For iOS and OS X. Can do reminders integration, geofencing alarms, etc, but since it's quite advanced it's not as flexible as the above solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwhizkids

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Thanks for your reply!

* Recurring tasks
* Sub-task checklists

TickTick does look like a good app. Unfortunately I can't get the Apple Watch app to work. I have tried reinstalling on both the watch and the iPhone, restarting both devices, etc. It just doesn't sync any of the tasks I put into the iPhone. I have contacted their support because I really would like to give it a try.

Over the years I have used various task lists and reminder apps for PalmOS and iOS... including Things (which has a watch complication), 2Do, OmniFocus, MyLifeOrganized, Clear and Swipes. I currently use Swipes the most because it had a Web-based cloud app as well as iOS and Watch apps. The Swipes Watch app is nothing special, but it does work. Overall I like Swipes, but I'm interested to see what other apps offer when it comes to the watch. TickTick looks like a really strong app all-around. I can't say I'm fond of the name though... too much of a reminder that the clock is ticking and I haven't gotten anything on my list done! :(

Sean

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I personally use Due for things like this as it has the ability to nag you - so if I don't do something then it pops back (you specify the intervals) repeatedly until you say you've done it.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I personally use Due for things like this as it has the ability to nag you - so if I don't do something then it pops back (you specify the intervals) repeatedly until you say you've done it.

I use Due for my reminders and it's great for setting recurring reminders or reminders with custom auto-snooze intervals. It doesn't let you add a sub-task or checklist though. I also wouldn't want to put everything into Due that I have in my task list since it doesn't give me options to categorize/tag and filter. I do frequently use Due to remind me to do a task on my list at a specific time though. Even though my task app offers reminders, is rather get the reminder in Due because of the better auto-snoozing.

Reactions: thewiccaman

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I downloaded the Reminders Nano and it is perfect! I love the direct integration with the Reminders app on my phone. I had been using the reminders app exclusively for shopping lists, task lists, and to remind me to put something in my purse when I got home, that last one took me a while to learn how to use but it is awesome! Now I can just use Siri on my watch and do those types of reminders plus lists, and with the Nano app see the list on my watch and check off items as I either pick them up or complete that to-do item. Absolutely love it!

Reactions: ZEEN0j

gorygloria

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
San Jose

I realize this thread is quite old, but I love my Alarmed app. Recurring reminders are in the Extras package which is I think $1.99, but it's well worth it for me. I've used it for several years happily, and only had an issue once when upgrading. I wrote to the developer, who responded quickly and clearly and had just the fix I needed.
It's my most used app, I think.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I realize this thread is quite old, but I love my Alarmed app. Recurring reminders are in the Extras package which is I think $1.99, but it's well worth it for me. I've used it for several years happily, and only had an issue once when upgrading. I wrote to the developer, who responded quickly and clearly and had just the fix I needed.
It's my most used app, I think.

I used Alarmed for a long time and really enjoyed it, but since it didn't have an Apple Watch app I switched to Due when I got my watch. Of course you can still get notifications on the watch even if there is no watch app, but the nice thing about a watch app is that I can reschedule reminders or mark them Done with the Due watch app.

I have been using TickTick for my task manager ever since this thread turned me onto it. Technically it can be used for reminders as well, but I use them both for different things. Due offers more configurable reminder options. With the paid version I can set the reminder to nag me at various intervals, set recurring reminders, etc. I think of TickTick as the big bucket so things don't fall through the cracks, and I might use it for gentle reminders. I use Due for the fewer but more urgent/important things that I absolutely must do at a specific time on a specific day.

Sean

gorygloria

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
San Jose
but the nice thing about a watch app is that I can reschedule reminders or mark them Done with the Due watch app.
You can now with Alarmed - I get my items on the Watch, and can dismiss them (without completing), mark them done, or snooze them for 15 minutes; those options work well enough for me.

I think of TickTick as the big bucket so things don't fall through the cracks, and I might use it for gentle reminders. I use Due for the fewer but more urgent/important things that I absolutely must do at a specific time on a specific day.
Sean

I do a similar thing; I use Things as the big bucket (on the Mac and iPhone; have not set it up on the watch), and Alarmed is my on-the-go system for recurring or right-now reminders.

Gloria

Reactions: sean000

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
You can now with Alarmed - I get my items on the Watch, and can dismiss them (without completing), mark them done, or snooze them for 15 minutes; those options work well enough for me.

I do a similar thing; I use Things as the big bucket (on the Mac and iPhone; have not set it up on the watch), and Alarmed is my on-the-go system for recurring or right-now reminders.

Gloria

That's good to know that Alarmed works well on the Watch. I always like it and still have it on my iPhone, so maybe I will give it another try to see how it works for me vs Due.

Things is one of my favorite task lists. I've tried a lot of them and I think it and TickTick are my favorites. There are a lot of good ones though. I remember when that wasn't the case. Nowadays it seems like we have a lot of good options that work well for iOS, WatchOS, desktop Web browsers, etc.

Sean

losgeloest

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
We use firstaudit Checklist-App for our business. We are able to create Checklists in a web-backend. These checklists are pushed on our mobile devices. And after finishing we could analyze the questions in the backend.

benjbrandall

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
You can create scheduled, recurring checklists from templates using Process Street. There are no apps for it yet, but it works from any browser and includes email notifications if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.