Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayede

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
bangalore, india
I'm new to the mac anything so be kind...

I selected a whole bunch of stuff and created a folder with the selection. I cannot find the folder. when I search in spotlight I can find it. How do I find it otherwise? I saved five of them and obviously cannot remember two of the names now because even spotlight cannot find them. yeesh!!!

Help!

When I checked in the get info window it says saved in Macintosh/users/<my user id> but I don't know how to go there.

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
When searching in spotlight, you can select show in finder (at the bottom of the results). This will pop up a finder window with the results. You can then select the folder and see the string of where it's located at the bottom of the finder window (if you have that path setting activated) or you can right click on the folder and select 'Get Info' and it will tell you where the folder is located.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
This, imho, is a shortcoming of the default UI for MacOS. But try:
- In Finder, pull down from the top menu bar: Finder-Preferences -
- Sidebar: Make sure there is a check mark next to the option for <yourusername> (the one with the little house). What the heck - check them all.
- General: Check them all. Your hard disk will show up on the desktop.

Now you should be able to do a few things:
- Double-click on the hard disk, and go to Users-<yourusername>
- From the side bar in a finder window, click on <yourusername>

This should help with navigation. One other thing. You can click on All My Files and click on the date column head. This will sort by date, and your most recent file activity should be at the top. Note that for some unexplainable reason, this isn't always the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.