Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avemestr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
I recently re-purposed my MM 2012 quad. Until now it served merely as a Plex Media Server in the basement, but since I upgraded my monitor to a UWQHD (3440x1440) I needed a machine with more GPU power than my 2011 13" MBA on the desktop. My MM now serves as desktop machine for mail, Photoshop, little FCPX, Plex Media Server, etc. It's upgraded with a 250GB SSD and a 600GB SSD in the other slot and to a total of 10GB RAM. The GPU though, only manages 30Hz at that resolution.

You're probably thinking "WHAT?! Why are you using such old machines?"

Reason is simple: Apple doesn't make compelling computers anymore. I had a 2015 11" MBA, but unfortunately the 128GB proved too limiting. So I sold it. I also had a MP 2009 which, while still going strong, was a dead-end.

I took a look at the current line-up: MP, severely outdated. MM, worse specs than my older MM. MB, will soon be updated, perhaps. Air, outdated. iMac, outdated, not providing the screen I desire. MBP, waaaay too expensive with Apples recent changes to overseas pricing (the smallest with touch bar cost $1799 in US and $2212 where I live)

It's strange. From 2007 (when I switched to Mac) to 2013 I was CONSTANTLY in a situation, where I desired to buy a new Apple computer, but didn't really have the need. Since then things have shifted. For the last couple of years I've needed a new Apple computer, but feel no desire to buy one. It's strange.

So, all in all I'm satisfied that a 5 year old machine can help me out with my daily tasks. But boy I wish there was a new machine with reasonable pricing and current CPU/GPU available. Like, a new MM.

But it seems Apple only wish to keep wrist band aficionados satisfied with their current upgrade strategy.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I have been an Apple user since the Apple ||e and have a similar feeling as you about current Apples.

I have a 2006 Mac Pro which, thanks to some very clever people here on Mac Rumours, is running Yosemite. I have 20 Gig RAM, all 4 HD bays full and by using the onboard sata connection also have 2 SSDs. I have upgraded the CPUs from dual to quad core so I suspect I have squeezed as much performance as I can out of the old dear. I love the expandability and reliability of this 10 y.o. machine. I do all the usual stuff but also some FCPX and Capture One. I am just a hobbyist with video and phot editing and while the performance of the old dear is OK I sometimes wish for more but what to get? I have the same feelings as you about the current line-up, nothing excites me and I wish Apple would forget about making everything thinner and lighter and give us back internal expandability.

Last edited:
Reactions: imanidiot

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Newest Mac in my lineup is a 2009 MacBook Air.... and its dead. 2nd to that is a 2007 17" MBP... and its dead now too (both victims of bad solder joints) so my primary machines are still the quad G5 and PowerBook G4s. There is a Core Duo MBP and Core 2 MacBook in the mix, which are handy, but by no means anything current. Would I like newer systems? Absolutely, but the fact is I don't "need" them.

Reactions: IoanNicut

bigfatipod

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I have a 2011 mac mini that i was looking to upgrade until I came across macrumors buyers guide and all these mac mini forum threads. I hadn't paid much attention to the mac lineup in years and am disappointed there's not something impressive since the 2012 qc i7. It's tempting to get that model, but i just have a tough time pulling the trigger on a used mac that's nearly five years old - with no guarantee that it will continue to operate for a few years.

Those concerns, combined with the status of Aperture, has me looking at PCs with Lightroom :(

Reactions: Count Blah

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I bought a used 2012 quad i7 2.6ghz Mini with 16gb RAM and the original Apple 256gb SSD this summer and use it exclusively for video editing. I'm working with DV and HDV footage going back to 2001 and still using legacy FCP. Really happy with this machine, it's very speedy. Has cut my render times in half compared to my 2013 MacBook Air which is pretty significant since some of them are over 12 hours. The graphics card really isn't an issue for my old software, but I also spent awhile with the free FCPX trial and it ran fine too.

Had considered getting a 2014 top of the line 3ghz/16gb/256gb SSD Mini instead, but the 2012 quad was cheaper and it's about 50% faster too.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Definitely the 2012 Mac Mini is the one to get, but there is a catch. I've been around a LOT of computers in my day and they don't last forever. The components wear out slowly on the motherboard until one day.... computer no worky. And no parts available to fix it.

So although buying used is a good deal (I just purchased a used 2010 Mac Mini) the computer has aged and will not get the same number of years with its new owner as a new freshly minted one.

The clock is ticking.

I'm really happy with my "new" 2012 i5 2.6ghz mini. I switched to a 250gb SSD, and 16gb of RAM, and it is speedy and totally silent. Apple doesn't currently offer any computers I want to buy, so I expect I'll stick wth the 2012 mini as long as I can. It's odd to see a company so willing to turn away customers and long-time loyal users.

Reactions: Wildhope
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.