Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
2 years ago I bought the 2nd gen 12.9 inch ipad pro. I love that tablet so much! Back then when I was still in med school I decided to go with just an ipad with no laptop. It was doable and I can do all my paperworks which just consists of mostly MS Word files and PDF files. Now that I’m a resident doctor in a hospital, the ipad Word app/experience isn’t just fast enough. There are a lot of times where I felt that I was not 100% in control of the file which kinda sucks.

Right now I have an uber slow and macbook air and not enough funds to get a new laptop without selling my ipad. I love my ipad more than my iphone xs max but sadly I think I need to let it go. Seriously right now this is killing me.

Had anyone had this similar dilemma before?

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
2 years ago I bought the 2nd gen 12.9 inch ipad pro. I love that tablet so much! Back then when I was still in med school I decided to go with just an ipad with no laptop. It was doable and I can do all my paperworks which just consists of mostly MS Word files and PDF files. Now that I’m a resident doctor in a hospital, the ipad Word app/experience isn’t just fast enough. There are a lot of times where I felt that I was not 100% in control of the file which kinda sucks.

Right now I have an uber slow and macbook air and not enough funds to get a new laptop without selling my ipad. I love my ipad more than my iphone xs max but sadly I think I need to let it go. Seriously right now this is killing me.

i would always choose a MacBook to get work done, unless it has to do with very specific needs. However, under iPad OS, things will get significantly better. Can you be more specific about where the iPad is limiting your productivity? Your first post doesn't provide enough detail to help you...

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Maybe sell your 2nd generation iPad Pro and get a 3rd generation iPad Pro instead?

Reactions: throAU

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Microsoft Word and the entire Office suite is just bad on the iPad and if you need it for your work, then better use a Macbook or a Windows laptop. I don't think that Microsoft has any plans whatsoever to make the iPad office version any better. Don't get emotional with a computer. It's just a device, nothing more.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Microsoft Word and the entire Office suite is just bad on the iPad and if you need it for your work, then better use a Macbook or a Windows laptop. I don't think that Microsoft has any plans whatsoever to make the iPad office version any better. Don't get emotional with a computer. It's just a device, nothing more.

Agree. I doubt iOS 13 will change MS Office’s functionality much apart from file handling and the ability to run two versions of the application. If there’s specific editing features missing in the iOS version of Word that OP needs they may have no choice but to switch platform to something else.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Sell the iPhone XS Max, buy a iPhone SE, use funds to get a Mac-based computer. Problem solved. Just because you are a doctor, doesn't mean the money will start flowing in, with student loans and other bills taking over.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK

Who says you need a MacBook? If you can stand it why not a Windows laptop? You can get a good used (4 or so years old) Thinkpad (i5) for only equivalent of £150-200 or around $250 US. It’ll run Office and edit PDF’s just fine while saving you a ton of money and allowing you to keep your iPad. That’s what I would do if in your position.

Reactions: scottrods

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
It’s just an electronic device. No need to get so emotional over it. If it isn’t meeting your need, get something else. Keep life in its proper perspective and decisions about electronics won’t seem to hard.

My thoughts exactly... I've never felt like losing an electronic device was "killing" me.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Sounds like getting rid of it is like breaking up with a girlfriend to you

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Another possibility, since that model has had some occurrences of the dreaded white spot, is to sell, get a computer of some kind and pick up perhaps a refurb 2018 iPad (the 9.7” iPad that Apple still sell new) to fill the iPad void.

The Pro will lose value if it develops the issue and only you can say whether it’s something that would make the device unusable to you.

You can then get perhaps the next gen Pro when finances allow, if that’s what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.