Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I received an iMac recently that is in working condition but for a missing LCD screen and front glass panel and bezel. It is a 20" model from 2006.

I have two questions. Firstly, what is the name given for this type of video connector shown here -
ydF6WeT.jpg

Second question: is it possible to use a LCD panel that is not officially made for the iMac in place of the official Apple hardware? Somebody suggested in a video that laptop screens can be used to connect to the iMac, but I have not had that verified.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011

Seeing as I received it for free, I'm weighing if it's worth it to fix up. Either way, I'd like to use it for a bit, and don't need to pay full price for an Apple LCD screen if I can avoid it. I don't even need the bezel, I can have the screen just out but connected.

ET3SW

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
TX
Seeing as I received it for free, I'm weighing if it's worth it to fix up. Either way, I'd like to use it for a bit, and don't need to pay full price for an Apple LCD screen if I can avoid it. I don't even need the bezel, I can have the screen just out but connected.

The only other option i could tell you is to try some local recyclers. But that mac is 12 years old and i wouldn't spend any money on it.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
The only other option i could tell you is to try some local recyclers. But that mac is 12 years old and i wouldn't spend any money on it.
That's not what I'm asking ET3SW. I'm asking 1. What is the name for the type of video connector pictured above? and 2. Is it possible to use a non-Apple display screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.