Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Is there a way to tell the difference between the 1GB version and the 2GB version of the 6970m GPU card in the iMac 2011 27"? The part numbers, 661-5968 and 661-5969 don't seem to be anywhere on the card so if I came across someone selling one of them how could I verify I was getting the right one? Are there any particular chips that are different or missing on one of them, or markings on the card?

Redlight-Records

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
The Basement
There are more than a few poor 2011 iMac owners that for whatever reason either can't or won't go through with the bold move of installing an NVIDIA replacement. That leaves only one choice, right? get a re-balled AMD Radeon 6970m off ebay. Which is not a comforting thought made even less comforting by the fact that for every listing, you're not entirely sure if it's:

1. an original card that's failed already and been baked.

2. an original card that hasn't failed. yet.

3. an Apple replacement card that's failed already and been baked.

4. an Apple replacement card that hasn't failed. yet.

5. an unbranded knockoff

Which leads me to some important questions.

A. Is there a way to tell the difference between the original 6970m's and the ones Apple supplied as part of their much-too-short recall? Or did they just replace a defective card with another identically defective card?

B. Is there a way to spot an unbranded knockoff?

I want to know:

are there certain makes of the 6970m cards that have a lower probability of failure?

Looking through pictures of 6907m listings on ebay you see some with the BLACKCOMB tag on the left or right in big or small text or not at all. Some have an additional HF / e l mark on there as well. Some sellers include the tag “Bespoke” as part of the item description. As for the chip itself, some have a clear AMD brand silkscreened on them and some don't.

Does anybody out there know what, exactly, a legitimate 6970m should/shouldn't look like? and if those markings and appearance could lead a buyer to get a make that had the best chance of survival.

I've posted some screen shots of some of the variances between card images. These are all listed as: APPLE IMAC 27" A1312 Mid 2011 RADEON HD 6970M 1GB GPU VIDEO CARD
except the last one listed as a 2GB

pics at:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/page-51#post-26792077

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.