Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2015
AUSTRIA
Maybe there is chance Apple would listen a bit more to their user base nowadays, when the stocks are not so fine anymore. About every 3 years a buy a new a new Mac. This year I wanted to buy a new iMac, but it is the first time, I'm quite unhappy what I can get for my money (around 3000€).

I tried to check what is not convincing me:
  • I'm using SD cards/USB memory sticks --> I don't like to fiddle around on the back side
  • Although I will order a big SSD --> why not make a hatch or something better for people who want to add an additional cheap EVO850
So what should be done:
  • Make it THICKER !
  • Add one USB3.0 and an SD card slot to the side, while other connectors can be left on the back ...
  • Add hatch for an additional SSD
  • With more thickness Apple can return to better repairability (glued display ****)
That's all what I would like to see ...

Last edited:
Reactions: AsprineTm

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
  • Make it THICKER !
NO! I won't buy the next iMac unless it's as thin as a MacBook Air!

But seriously, I don't think it'll happen. The iMac G5s were thick and easy to open for upgrades/repairs, the iMac has never gone back to a similar design.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....About every 3 years a buy a new a new Mac. This year I wanted to buy a new iMac, but it is the first time, I'm quite unhappy what I can get for my money (around 3000€).

• I'm using SD cards/USB memory sticks --> I don't like to fiddle around on the back side
  • Although I will order a big SSD --> why not make a hatch or something better for people who want to add an additional cheap EVO850.....
I don't believe there's currently room for that; it would probably require a re-design. At any rate, Apple would like you to buy their pricey SSD upgrade :mad::(:mad:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple won't be going back to a "thick" iMac case, especially as CPUs and GPUs get cooler (so they are not as impacted by being in "close quarters").

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Maybe there is chance Apple would listen a bit more to their user base nowadays, when the stocks are not so fine anymore. About every 3 years a buy a new a new Mac. This year I wanted to buy a new iMac, but it is the first time, I'm quite unhappy what I can get for my money (around 3000€).

• Although I will order a big SSD --> why not make a hatch or something better for people who want to add an additional cheap EVO850
So what should be done:
  • Make it THICKER !
  • Add one USB3.0 and an SD card slot to the side, while other connectors can be left on the back ...
  • With more thickness Apple can return to better repairability (glued display ****)
That's all what I would like to see ...

First off, if current stock price woes have nothing to do with dissatisfied customers. Apple's customer satisfaction ratings are astronomically high. Wall Street threw a hissy fit over the next quarter's earnings projection - they were hoping for an instant return to profit growth after one down quarter, and didn't get it. Meantime, Apple's projection for the quarter just past was bang on, so Wall Street could only blame itself for expecting higher. And the reasons for the declines? The slowdown in smartphone purchasing hit all manufacturers, the slowdown in China's economy hit everyone, and currency exchange rates hit everyone...

And even if customer dissatisfaction was a significant factor, and Apple "started listening" as of a couple of weeks ago - it takes time to design and build products. Don't expect anything in 2016.

The vast majority of iMac (or laptop) users do not want to get inside, or to add additional internal drives. Forget thinness for a moment - access hatches and the parts needed to secure the drive and connect it to the main logic board cost extra money. Should every iMac purchaser pay for something only a handful of users want?

The thing is, "repairability" almost always results in lower reliability and higher initial cost. Adhesive is about solidity; relying less upon screws that can come loose (or be lost and left out during sloppy repairs); screws that take additional time to assemble (though less to disassemble). Each connector adds additional potential points of failure...

Thicker would also mean more materials used for the enclosure, higher shipping weights, bulkier packaging... all of these affect efficiency and cost. On a per unit basis, small potatoes, but when there are millions of units involved...

As to the edge-mounted SD card slot and USB port? Currently, all the i/o connectors are on a single board, with a single interconnect cable to the main logic board. Move some of those to the the edge, and you have another assembly to deal with - higher parts costs, higher assembly costs. And while you might want SD and USB on the edge, someone else would insist on having the headphones there, someone else would complain that one USB port isn't enough... Yet they certainly would not move all the i/o connectors to the edge - people want most of that mess in the back, where it can't be seen.

Even if Apple did provide for user-installed Flash storage, it would not be in the form of a SATA drive (like the EVO 850). It'd be a slim PCIe blade - far faster, far more compact, far easier to secure mechanically. The hatch would be closer to the dimensions of the RAM slots on a 27" iMac. You want to add a cheap, slow, bulky drive to an iMac? There's an i/o port for that.

Right, Thunderbolt and USB ports. Put your external SD card reader wherever you want. Get a Thunderbolt enclosure and you can add additional drives. That's what the ports are there for; so that the myriad customization desires of users can be accommodated while still keeping the base product at a price people are willing to pay. (And I don't want to hear the, "Apple's rich" part - investors want to see a particular gross profit margin - if that declined on an ongoing basis, there would be even more pain from Wall Street.)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Nope, no way we're going back to the past with added bulk. Very happy with my super thin, super quiet, and super cool iMac that runs like a champ.

Just a couple of things from the top of my head that I'd like to see in the new iMac..

- NOT thicker
- reduction in the bezels and the chin
- 1.5 TB - 2TB SSD option
- more affordable SSD upgrade prices across the board
- space gray, gold, and rose gold color options with new color matching Magic accessories
- a beefy and competitive GPU
- discreet GPU in the 21.5" 4K model would be welcome
[doublepost=1462579571][/doublepost]
First off, if current stock price woes have nothing to do with dissatisfied customers. Apple's customer satisfaction ratings are astronomically high. Wall Street threw a hissy fit over the next quarter's earnings projection - they were hoping for an instant return to profit growth after one down quarter, and didn't get it. Meantime, Apple's projection for the quarter just past was bang on, so Wall Street could only blame itself for expecting higher. And the reasons for the declines? The slowdown in smartphone purchasing hit all manufacturers, the slowdown in China's economy hit everyone, and currency exchange rates hit everyone...

And even if customer dissatisfaction was a significant factor, and Apple "started listening" as of a couple of weeks ago - it takes time to design and build products. Don't expect anything in 2016.

The vast majority of iMac (or laptop) users do not want to get inside, or to add additional internal drives. Forget thinness for a moment - access hatches and the parts needed to secure the drive and connect it to the main logic board cost extra money. Should every iMac purchaser pay for something only a handful of users want?

The thing is, "repairability" almost always results in lower reliability and higher initial cost. Adhesive is about solidity; relying less upon screws that can come loose (or be lost and left out during sloppy repairs); screws that take additional time to assemble (though less to disassemble). Each connector adds additional potential points of failure...

Thicker would also mean more materials used for the enclosure, higher shipping weights, bulkier packaging... all of these affect efficiency and cost. On a per unit basis, small potatoes, but when there are millions of units involved...

As to the edge-mounted SD card slot and USB port? Currently, all the i/o connectors are on a single board, with a single interconnect cable to the main logic board. Move some of those to the the edge, and you have another assembly to deal with - higher parts costs, higher assembly costs. And while you might want SD and USB on the edge, someone else would insist on having the headphones there, someone else would complain that one USB port isn't enough... Yet they certainly would not move all the i/o connectors to the edge - people want most of that mess in the back, where it can't be seen.

Even if Apple did provide for user-installed Flash storage, it would not be in the form of a SATA drive (like the EVO 850). It'd be a slim PCIe blade - far faster, far more compact, far easier to secure mechanically. The hatch would be closer to the dimensions of the RAM slots on a 27" iMac. You want to add a cheap, slow, bulky drive to an iMac? There's an i/o port for that.

Right, Thunderbolt and USB ports. Put your external SD card reader wherever you want. Get a Thunderbolt enclosure and you can add additional drives. That's what the ports are there for; so that the myriad customization desires of users can be accommodated while still keeping the base product at a price people are willing to pay. (And I don't want to hear the, "Apple's rich" part - investors want to see a particular gross profit margin - if that declined on an ongoing basis, there would be even more pain from Wall Street.)

Right on point. Agreed on everything you just said there.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So what should be done:
  • Make it THICKER !

Except for the last point all of your wishlist items hinge on the idea of Apple making somethign thicker, and I don't see that actually happening - ever.

I will say having the ports on the back can be a bit of a pain but it does make the iMac look nicer, I'd rather not see cables coming out of the side - it destroys the aesthetics.

My wish list items:
  • USB-C/TB3
  • Stock SSDs and get rid of 5400 rpm drives altogether.
  • Fusion drives - up the flash portion from 24 back to 128GB for 1TB drives and why not up the flash for 2TB drives.
  • Larger wireless keyboard - the tiny chicklet keyboard without a numeric keypad just doesn't cut the mustard.

Reactions: OddyOh and -BigMac-

roadkill401

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2015
There was a suggestion that the SD card reader gets moved to the side as on the back is sort of worthless.

I would suggest that they get rid of the SD card all together as on the back of the unit is just about impossible to get to. Give me more USB ports instead. Make the extra USB ports have better power. Right now as there are only 4 usb's, i have no option but to have a powered external usb hub. But Apple does not really offer any tested compatibility with external usb hubs in each of their builds, so you can't really count on any of them working between builds, or more importantly on a reboot.

Why do you need more USB's? Well, Apple cannot seem to make the wireless keyboard rock solid. I have since had to move to a wired USB keyboard and even the new tablet sometimes goes off into LALA land, and only works consistently reliable if plugged in via its lightning cable. Add in an external USB drive for TimeMachine and my hub and I am out of reliable USB ports on the back of the unit.

Why have an SD slot that you can't get to on the back? give me more USB and i can put a fast reader that does not only SD but CF like my camera requires and have it accessible at the front on my desk so i can use it.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
A modern version of the Lamp iMac design will work. Keep the display part thin, allow the base support your GPU, HD, Memory, CPU, and Mother.
Yeah, she needs all the support she can get..... what a gracious and timely thought for this sunday..... :D

On topic, what I liked most about those 'lamp' iMacs was the fact you had vertical control as well, rather than just tilting; easier on the neck especially for longer stretches such as watching a movie.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Grade

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
I want for my future girlfriend and wife a Victoria Secret Model... Wait, you say it ain't that kind of thread? :p

Well, Apple will do, what Apple think is best for them and the costumers. But I wish the base model came:
-Retina
-Better GPU
-SSD
-More afordable prices for those european countries that Apple a year ago rose the prices across all products.

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
A modern version of the Lamp iMac design will work. Keep the display part thin, allow the base support your GPU, HD, Memory, CPU, and Mother.

I would love a modern version of the iMac G4. It gets rid of the chin, it gets rid of the bulky leg, it gets rid of wires dangling down from the back of the unit, it stops the display from getting in the way of internal heat dispersion, and most importantly of all...

On topic, what I liked most about those 'lamp' iMacs was the fact you had vertical control as well, rather than just tilting; easier on the neck especially for longer stretches such as watching a movie.

... It would have much better ergonomics.

Image the base as a larger Mac Mini (GPU's, more powerful components, arm support), and an oversized laptop display on the other end of the arm. It has the potential to be Apple's most beautiful Mac ever, beating the G4 iMac (I have one as an excellent music centre).

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
It should get either the ATI or nVidia 14/16nm graphics chip. nVidia is claiming over double the speed. They're both on the die shrink over-clock upgrade with these new chips, but at least they resolved the temp issue for now. They both should rock. Waiting until the new iMacs are out and I'll see. Will be a huge step up from my 2007.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
In my visions:
iMac will stay as it is, and will be updated when there's a new Intel CPU available. They will be iGPU only.

But there will be a Pro line with
  • New stand, so it can go up an down and slide partly in front of you to become a drawing pad
  • Support for Apple Pencil
  • Next gen GPU's (Polaris 10 or Nvidia 1070 variant)
  • HDR display
  • Target display mode

Reactions: hamilto

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My only wish is that those that need something other than an iMac, buy something else and stop whining that the iMac is not what they need/want.

Reactions: Icaras

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I go against the norm, I want the iMac to be even thinner without suffering any performance hits (actually I want the specs to improve). I also think a bigger display (30-32") 5K and no bezel at all would be cool. Of course everyone has the right to dream. I like it to that I always wanted to buy a Mini Cooper, but every time I buy a new car I get something else. Reality -vs- dreaming somehow never happen....:confused:

Reactions: Icaras

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
the only think can improved in near future is the DDR4 Ram, usb-c tb3 ports, dGPU. Skylake with HD580 for the 21.5" will be also a significant gpu upgrade

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think the only thing we will see this time around is a much better gpu. Everything else will stay more or less the same. Maybe slightly faster ssd for a lower price or something minor like that... Which I'm happy with. New gpu is enough for me to make an upgrade.

The other stuff mentioned (thicker, interchangeable ssd, sd card/usb on the side) is something I don't see happening at all, and frankly it would not be a positive development for the iMac and how the iMac is suppose to be imo. If you need more connectors buy a hub or a different computer. Ports on the side would break its aesthetics (so not happening) thicker, never... Maybe one day it will become even thinner. Slot for ssd, no way it's gonna happen, you can already connect one with the thunderbolt ports.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
5K 27" iMac with Skylake 6700, NVidia GeForce 1080, Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD with 4 TB Fusion drive, at least 16 GB of DDR4 RAM for $1500 :p

Yes I know that number is low, it's on purpose because that wishlist is as imaginary as the pricing.
Pop in a Xeon E5 2699v4 and you've got yourself a deal!

Arahon

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
Top 27 inch model, 'realistic' wishes.

-Intel Skylake i7 6700K
-AMD Polaris M495X
-True Tone
-SSD starting at 512 GB, up to 2 TB
-DDR4-2400 RAM, still manualy replaceable
-2 extra USB 3.0 slots underneath the iMac, to charge your magic keyboard, magic mouse 2 and magic trackpad 2. This also prevents you the hassle of blindly finding that USB slot on the back.
-3.5mm Headphone jack underneath the iMac, same reason as above.
-Front speaker system build in the Magic Keyboard (2)/underneath the black bezel of the screen.
-Side speakers
-HDMI slots
-USB-C slots
-Anti reflective coating, same as we see on the 9.7" iPad Pro.
-Overall design towards cooling and being silent, instead of 'as thin as possible'.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
-True Tone

I forgot about these nifty screen upgrades on the iPad Pro. I would also love to see these on the new iMac as well.

Top 27 inch model, 'realistic' wishes.

-Intel Skylake i7 6700K
-AMD Polaris M495X
-True Tone
-SSD starting at 512 GB, up to 2 TB
-DDR4-2400 RAM, still manualy replaceable
-2 extra USB 3.0 slots underneath the iMac, to charge your magic keyboard, magic mouse 2 and magic trackpad 2. This also prevents you the hassle of blindly finding that USB slot on the back.
-3.5mm Headphone jack underneath the iMac, same reason as above.
-Front speaker system build in the Magic Keyboard (2)/underneath the black bezel of the screen.
-Side speakers
-HDMI slots
-USB-C slots
-Overall design towards cooling and being silent, instead of 'as thin as possible'.

That's about what I suggested, except 2 TB and you went with the AMD equivalent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.