Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcapanema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2019
Brazil
Hi! After my iMac 2017 21.5" died I decided to convert it into a monitor. I bought this driver board (LM215UH1-SDB1), it arrived today, I tested and it's working fine, but I have some questions for someone who already did this mod:

1. How you did the cable management on this? I'm guessing that I'll need to remove the power socket (AC inlet) from it and use its hole to pass the cables

2. Is it possible to have the control buttons on the outside? Those buttons control the monitor settings. I'm thinking about using a double sided tape to just stick on the bottom or in the rear

1689365856198.png

1689365960054.png

3. Is it possible to use its ports? It comes with two USB 2.0, one HDMI in, one DisplayPort, one USB-C, one audio output
I assume you'd need to drill a hole on the iMac frame and it can only be accessible through the bottom, in the opposite side of its original ports, but even then I don't think that's feasible

1689364222105.png

4. Is it possible to keep the original speakers and make it work somehow?

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or insights.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Have you seen this 27" iMac conversion thread?
It shows dozens of ways these problems have been solved by previous A1419 owners.
(Its so long, just skip through the pictures posted just to give you some ideas... :)

To answer your questions.
Cable management it usually through the bottom rear of the case - where the 27" has a RAM access port.
The Control strip can be mounted externally or internally with access holes for the buttons and LED/IR signals. You can use a remote control with this board - the same as is used by the 27" R9A18/R1811 boards.
The board is internally mounted so access to the ports has to be through cables passing through the rear of the case.
Your board has an audio power amplifier (with the white 4 pin loudspeaker connector strip next to it, on the same edge as the control strip connector), so you can indeed drive your iMacs speakers direct from your board.

Its all a bit fiddly but well worth doing. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: tcapanema

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
You will need a dozen extension cable to keep your DIY monitor neat and tidy.
- HDMI male to female extension cable. => Drill and file 1 USB port for this HDMI out. Depending on the case, you might need to buy a combination of extension cable and adapter etc to fit with the small open space inside the case.
- DisplayPort male to female extension cable. => Drill and file 1 USB port for this HDMI out.
- USB 2.0 type A extension cable (male to female)
- USB type C extension cable
And some Epoxy putty to keep these socket in place.
If you can drill the aluminum case, you will have to go through a much more complicate process of selecting the correct adaper (those usable with screws)

For a simpler but more messy solution, drill open the ventilation holes and run all wires through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.