Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caseydull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2018
I have a Macbook Pro that I do photo editing on and it is time to get a desktop now that we moved into our forever home. I know that Mac Rumors says to wait but I trust those in the forums. I was looking at the 4.2 Ghz 1 TB SSD drive with 8 GB of RAM and then I will add 32 GB of RAM myself. Tech typically gets cheaper but I do several photo events from June to the end of the year. I probably can't wait much longer than the beginning of September at the latest. Would you buy now from B&H with no tax and free shipping? Any other places I should look? It seems the Apple refurbs are more expensive after tax than the B&H new ones. Thanks for your suggestions in advanced.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
If you have the money and feel that you can afford the retail prices you’re seeing, and you won’t feel slighted when a new updated model comes out at the same price, then I’d get it now.

If you are one who experienced buyers remorse if a new machine comes out in 6 months at the same price and is 200 MHz (0.2 GHz) faster, then wait.

If your current machine does the task effectively enough, then I’d get an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse for it and set it up like a desktop that can also travel with you when needed.

Then, at some later date, if you get a new iMac (perhaps on release date) then you could attach your external screen to it for dual screen purposes.

In business, time is money. If you will be more productive by acting sooner, then I’d the wait worth it.

Those would be where I’d be looking to make my decision.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would expect to see new iMacs in late July, August, possibly early September.
I would NOT expect ANY "new iMac announcement" at WWDC.
I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I'll be surprised if it does.

The old saying:
If you "need now", BUY now.
If you can "wait".... then WAIT.

I would not "pay Apple's price" for the 1tb SSD. I just don't see that as a "good expenditure of my money".
I would recommend the 512gb SSD instead (or even the 256gb) and add external storage via USB3 (either SSD or HDD).

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
When it does it will be the biggest processor release since in years.

50% more power similar prices... Just see what WWDC brings. It could be as the average is 371 days.... thats June, no reason why they couldn't, the processors are out, the X version of the 580 is out...

Reactions: Internet Enzyme

dudleydoright

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Is there any indication from current iMac stock (such as a decline in retailer inventory for example) that would indicate that an immanent refresh is in the works?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
A significant refresh is rarely announced until September with a Q4 release date. There's an outside chance of a minor spec bump for May/June but I'd personally hold on until the September iPhone event and see what gets announced.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
A significant refresh is rarely announced until September with a Q4 release date. There's an outside chance of a minor spec bump for May/June but I'd personally hold on until the September iPhone event and see what gets announced.
You're correct in saying that the iMac updates are usually later in the year but updates to existing products are never announced months in advance, they are released right away. Else it would destroy sales of the current model.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
When it does it will be the biggest processor release since in years.

50% more power similar prices... Just see what WWDC brings. It could be as the average is 371 days.... thats June, no reason why they couldn't, the processors are out, the X version of the 580 is out...

**** i hope you’re right. I really wanna get one, and looking at macrumors forums makes me think im not the only one...

Cajun_Mike

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
I really want an Imac as my 2010 is on it's last legs and i'm just ready.. the great experience ive had with my Dell XPS15 laptop purchased last year has me really looking at the new Dell all in one that's coming in less than a month.

Look at the specs on this thing and the price point should be less than 2000 fully loaded. They fixed that up the nostril webcam on last years Ryzen model. Now it has a popup webcam.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...-focus-on-the-cinema-experience.295910.0.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.