Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woois00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
My I mac 2017 21.5 (i5 3.0G) still black screen.
This is error procedure.

1. Try to Big sur update.
2. During Big sur update, power shut down( by my son)
3. boot fail ( black screen)
4. Logic board LED #3 off
LED 3 - Indicates that the computer and the video card are communicating. This LED will be ON when the computer is communicating properly with the video card. If LEDs 1 and 2 are ON and you heard the startup sound, but LED 3 is OFF, then the video card might be installed incorrectly or need replacement.

Try to repair.

1. PRAM reset - Fail
2. PRAM battery replace - Fail

Any advice would be great. I'm basically wondering how to get some money back from these useless repairs, and how to harvest functionality from the remaining parts.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Standard Recovery available? Command + R at boot, immediately after turning on. Use wired keyboard.
Safe mode? Hold shift at start. Use wired keyboard.

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
Or Cmd+Opt+R. I forget which one is which that I used setting up my external SSD. I think the one I used installed Big Sur as default.

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
If it was turned off mid-way updating the firmware, it could have messed up the firmware for your machine.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4. Logic board LED #3 off
LED 3 - Indicates that the computer and the video card are communicating. This LED will be ON when the computer is communicating properly with the video card. If LEDs 1 and 2 are ON and you heard the startup sound, but LED 3 is OFF, then the video card might be installed incorrectly or need replacement.

Your iMac is using the iGPU (intergrated on the CPU), which is not likely to be dead. As you have already opened the iMac, I would suggest:
- Remove all removable devices like SATA, RAM and power on to see if it beeps differently.
- Put back the RAM to see if the fans still running.
- Do the PRAM reset here to see if the iMac responses (chimes)
A)
If at this level, your iMac does not response, then probably the firmware chip need to be reflashed, which can only be done by a repair shop that know this kind of trade. (de-solder the firmware chip, put it on a programer and write fresh contents to it before solder it back to the logic board).

Another option is to replace the logic board with a known to be good one.

B) If your iMac responses to the PRAM reset (hardware is OK), then you can format the SSD on another Mac, put it back to the iMac and do a fresh install of OS, or try to see if it boot from the USB installer.

If the CPU is removable, then you can test it on another compatible PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.