Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Hi all, so I've just bought a new v5k 27" i7 imac and while I'm excited by the upgrade from my old 2011 macbook pro I'm not wondering if much of my gear is now unusable. I can do without firewire, but I'm wondering if I can use any of my monitors as secondary displays. While I understand that there are issues using adaptors to try and go from usb-c to earlier connectors such as hdmi and even thunderbolt 2 for monitors, I'm wondering if my Belkin Express Dock would run using a thunderbolt 3 - TB2 adaptor? and if so, if i have a thunderbolt cable going from there to my LG monitor, might that work?
Does anyone have any experience with this?
I'd prefer not to have to buy another monitor as only just bought the LG.
Thanks for any words of wisdom you might have
[doublepost=1507570532][/doublepost]Apple suggests that a simple mini displayport adaptor would do the trick... however lots of people seem to be experiencing problemes. I'm wondering if it's to do with High Sierra also?
From https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204154

Use a Mini DisplayPort display or adapter with your Thunderbolt-equipped Mac
You can connect a Mini DisplayPort display to a Thunderbolt port on your Mac. Or, you can connect a display that uses a Mini DisplayPort to VGA, DVI, or HDMI adapter. They work the same as if you connect them to a Mini DisplayPort.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Which LG monitor? What is the input connector you plan on using? DP?

TB is backward compatible so provided you use the correct cables it should work. But do you really need it? What else is connected to it?

You could just get a USB-C/TB3 to DP cable directly from the Mac to the monitor. They also offer other ports (HDMI and VGA) in that link. Relatively cheap with good reviews.

yacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Hi cynics, thanks for replying. I have an ultrawide LG 34UM88. I'm pretty sure now that this would work ok running off of a thunderbolt 2 cable connected to the imac via apples TB2-TB3 adapter. However I was planning to sell this monitor to pay off some of the cost of the imac, so really the monitor I'm more interested in connecting to is my old Dell S2740L. This has a displayport connection on it, so might work with the cable you linked to. However ideally I'd save on buying anything else and just use my existing mini-display-port to DVI adaptor with a DIV cable connected to one of the TB ports on my Belkin Dock (I suspect this is where things might fall apart though). If doesn't work I'll take you advise and make the relatively small gamble of buying an DP to TBB3 cable

I've gone ahead and ordered the apple tb2-tb3 adaptor now, so once this arrives I can do some experimenting and update this thread in case proves helpful to anyone in the same position.
Thanks for your help
[doublepost=1507759769][/doublepost]This parallel thread is a helpful if somewhat confusing read: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tor-via-displayport-with-new-27-imac.2053445/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.