Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robersus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2020
I've searched everywhere in the internets and tried everything I could find, but it does not appear that this is possible. Hoping smarter people than me have figured this out.

Here's my scenario - like everyone else, I'm spending a lot more time working at home. I recently upgraded to the iMac 2019. My work laptop is Windows 10. It has a 13" screen so I'd really like to use the iMac as an external display for the PC. Unfortunately, Apple did away with Target Display Mode on the iMac 2019 and I can't seem to find any other option that can work. Here's what I've tried/considered:

- Apple Thunderbolt 3 display cable between iMac and PC (laptop has a Thunderbolt port).
- Screen projection to Windows using Bootcamp (seen here: Using a 5k iMac as a Second Monitor for a Windows 10 PC. He's using a 2018 5k iMac. When I tried this, I get red text in the Windows display settings on the iMac that says this computer doesn't support screen projection and all options in that window are greyed out so I can't turn it on, unlike what he can do in the video).
- Luna Display - only works for Apple-to-Mac, not PC-to-Mac.
- Windows Remote Control on Mac - not an option for me as remote control is disabled on my work PC. Not really a solution anyway as I would like the iMac to be the primary screen and the laptop to be the secondary screen for my Windows workspace.
- Avatron Air Display - only works for Mac-to-Any (PC, Apple, Android), not the other way around.

Ideas?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Pretty sure this cannot be done.

As you noted, Target Display Mode ended with the adoption of the 5K panel in 2014 because Apple needed a custom timing controller to drive it at 60Hz and I believe this is not able to allow an external signal to be sent to the panel.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

Zahilla

Suspended
Oct 9, 2019
I've searched everywhere in the internets and tried everything I could find, but it does not appear that this is possible. Hoping smarter people than me have figured this out.

Here's my scenario - like everyone else, I'm spending a lot more time working at home. I recently upgraded to the iMac 2019. My work laptop is Windows 10. It has a 13" screen so I'd really like to use the iMac as an external display for the PC. Unfortunately, Apple did away with Target Display Mode on the iMac 2019 and I can't seem to find any other option that can work. Here's what I've tried/considered:

- Apple Thunderbolt 3 display cable between iMac and PC (laptop has a Thunderbolt port).
- Screen projection to Windows using Bootcamp (seen here: Using a 5k iMac as a Second Monitor for a Windows 10 PC. He's using a 2018 5k iMac. When I tried this, I get red text in the Windows display settings on the iMac that says this computer doesn't support screen projection and all options in that window are greyed out so I can't turn it on, unlike what he can do in the video).
- Luna Display - only works for Apple-to-Mac, not PC-to-Mac.
- Windows Remote Control on Mac - not an option for me as remote control is disabled on my work PC. Not really a solution anyway as I would like the iMac to be the primary screen and the laptop to be the secondary screen for my Windows workspace.
- Avatron Air Display - only works for Mac-to-Any (PC, Apple, Android), not the other way around.

Ideas?

I have a 2017 one and i just used steam remote play streaming and streamed my windows computers desktop onto the imac which was great cause speakers were included

JLOAKS

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2016
Bumping this thread because I'm in a similar situation and am hoping for more solutions. Luna Display looks great but the Windows option isn't available until mid-2021.

USB3foriMac

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2020
Singapore
I use VNC in listener mode. That way, I am able to run VNC on my work laptop by simply using a VNCviewer.
You can set either screen as primary, so I don't see the issue why this wouldn't be a good solution.

k42069nice

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
Valencia, Spain
I have the same problem with a MacBook Pro and an iMac (newer than 2014) and can't use them together at the same time (even if I installed Windows Bootcamp on both), and honestly thats some bullsh.t considering how much they cost.
Anyway, the best solution I could find is the ShareMouse app which imitates the mouse and keyboard for both as they were the same machine. Its not the same, you can't drag&drop, etc but at least you dont have to switch from one keyboard to another all the time and at the end of the day all I need is a monitor for googling and the other one for programming. I hope at least somebody finds this app useful for them, and I really hope that Apple will release one day a proper app for this.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Have you tried Duet Air?
I haven't, but I used to use DuetDisplay (from the same people) to turn my iPad into a secondary display for my MacBook and it worked rather well.
(EDIT: on second thought, they could go long stretches without updates while some features were crippled...)

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
If your PC/Laptop has an HDMI port, then it will be super easy.
Buy an HDMI to USB 3.0 video capture adapter to connect the 2 devices.
On the iMac, install and Quick Camera, the iMac will see input video signal as another video source like the ISight webcam. You can minimize the windows or put it at fullscreen mode.
On the PC, the video capture is seen as another display.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
If your PC/Laptop has an HDMI port, then it will be super easy.
Buy an HDMI to USB 3.0 video capture adapter to connect the 2 devices.
On the iMac, install and Quick Camera, the iMac will see input video signal as another video source like the ISight webcam. You can minimize the windows or put it at fullscreen mode.
On the PC, the video capture is seen as another display.

Hardware + software is "super easy"?
Then I'd guess pure software is extra super easy ;). Plus, Duet Air works by Wifi - no need for extra cables.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

The Windows version isn't out yet and it doesn't support Retina mode on iMacs yet either but otherwise it's decent. Maybe worth keeping an eye on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.