Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyWalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
I have a 2019 iMac with a 1TB Fusion drive running Big Sur 11.2.3. The machine runs fine most of the time... until I have to open an app. Or worse, reboot the machine. It's no exaggeration to say that it can take 40 mins to fully finish booting (ie. re-opening the apps I use: Chrome, PHPStorm, Terminal, Music, Photoshop, Dropbox, Mail).

40 mins.

I know that's a fairly large amount of apps, but probably not much more than the average web developer. I can use the machine while it's re-opening the apps I use, but it takes 40 mins before they're all fully responsive and available to me.

Is this expected behaviour?

If this isn't expected behaviour, what can I test to see what's going wrong?

Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 13.46.52.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The fusion drive trying to run Big Sur is "what's going wrong".

Over in the m-series sub-forum, there's a long-running thread about unbelievably high disk writing on the m-series Macs. You can see it here:

I'm wondering if the out-of-the-ordinary disk swapping may be occurring on Intel Macs running Big Sur, as well?

This could impact booting and running on Macs with slower drives.
And any Mac with either a platter-based drive (only) or a smaller fusion drive (which has only a 32gb SSD portion) may be impacted by this.

The solution is to buy an EXTERNAL USB3 SSD, connect that, and set it up to become the new boot drive.

You could use either an "ordinary" USB3 SSD (which will give you reads in the 420-430MBps range), or...
Buy an "nvme" blade SSD and a USB3.1 gen2 enclosure. They just snap together. One of these will give you reads in the 700-900MBps range.

Last edited:

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Short term solution: make yourself an external USB 3.x SSD and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone everything over. Set it as the boot and get back to work. If you have important data on there and no backup I would do this *immediately*. And I would use the machine as little as possible until that is complete. You could just purchase a pre-configured external SSD if you wanted, but building your own is incredibly easy (buy case, but drive, snap together, plug in, format) and will save you a few bucks.

Possible hardware causes: What you describe is very common on older fusion drive arrays when the HDD begins to fail; the machine can become almost unbearably slow but actually continue to function. It would be unusual, but by no means impossible, that your machine is experiencing a premature storage failure.

Other possible causes could be software or drive-structure corruption. Try running Disk Utility to check the drive. You could boot externally, break apart the fusion drive, test each component (SSD and HDD) individually, and then rebuild the fusion array if you wish. This is a painful process - OWC / Macsales has a good guide. Reinstall the OS and use Migration Assistant to migrate your data back from your external. If you are not having any hardware failures that should resolve things.

But ultimately the most important thing is your data. Worry about that first and everything else afterwards.

Reactions: JohnnyWalker

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Apple should be embarrassed for ever releasing 1TB Fusions with the 32/28GB blade drives. Simply not even big enough to load the operating system. A cheap solution to compete in the market place with cheap PC computers.

JohnnyWalker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2005
Short term solution: make yourself an external USB 3.x SSD and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone everything over. Set it as the boot and get back to work. If you have important data on there and no backup I would do this *immediately*. And I would use the machine as little as possible until that is complete. You could just purchase a pre-configured external SSD if you wanted, but building your own is incredibly easy (buy case, but drive, snap together, plug in, format) and will save you a few bucks.

Possible hardware causes: What you describe is very common on older fusion drive arrays when the HDD begins to fail; the machine can become almost unbearably slow but actually continue to function. It would be unusual, but by no means impossible, that your machine is experiencing a premature storage failure.

Other possible causes could be software or drive-structure corruption. Try running Disk Utility to check the drive. You could boot externally, break apart the fusion drive, test each component (SSD and HDD) individually, and then rebuild the fusion array if you wish. This is a painful process - OWC / Macsales has a good guide. Reinstall the OS and use Migration Assistant to migrate your data back from your external. If you are not having any hardware failures that should resolve things.

But ultimately the most important thing is your data. Worry about that first and everything else afterwards.

Excellent advice. I ran Disk Utility First Aid and it found no issues. Shrug.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I have a 2019 iMac with a 1TB Fusion drive running Big Sur 11.2.3. The machine runs fine most of the time... until I have to open an app. Or worse, reboot the machine. It's no exaggeration to say that it can take 40 mins to fully finish booting (ie. re-opening the apps I use: Chrome, PHPStorm, Terminal, Music, Photoshop, Dropbox, Mail).

40 mins.

I know that's a fairly large amount of apps, but probably not much more than the average web developer. I can use the machine while it's re-opening the apps I use, but it takes 40 mins before they're all fully responsive and available to me.

Is this expected behaviour?

If this isn't expected behaviour, what can I test to see what's going wrong?

View attachment 1753432
One decade old advice I can give is this, - always lag intentionally one OSX System behind. I suspect Big Sur is the elephant in the room here. You need to know, Big Sur is not an ordinary version. This time we talk about a transitional OSX. Last time this happened was 2006 when Apple switched from ppc to intel. This will be a long and painful birth with many unknowns and risks. My advice: Go back to Catalina and let others do the Beta testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.