Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2023
Good afternoon.
I bought this model (iMac 21.5 Mid 2011).
I installed BigSure 11.7.8 on it, after updating the system, minor freezes began when watching videos on YouTube. The temperature of the processor rises, and launching programs also takes a long time.
I came up with the idea to upgrade the processor + video memory + RAM, because I understand that nowadays 4gb is quite small, and I will use it for website development. But no matter how much I look for information on updating now, I understand that everyone has different models and suitable devices.
The question is what kind of processor can I install in place of my i5 (3.4ghZ), and the most important thing is the video card, can it be changed to something more powerful? Now I have an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB.

Reactions: picpicmac

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Good afternoon.
I bought this model (iMac 21.5 Mid 2011).
I installed BigSure 11.7.8 on it, after updating the system, minor freezes began when watching videos on YouTube. The temperature of the processor rises, and launching programs also takes a long time.
I came up with the idea to upgrade the processor + video memory + RAM, because I understand that nowadays 4gb is quite small, and I will use it for website development. ...

Recommend calling the MacSales people and find out what they can offer. They do claim you model can go to 32GB of RAM:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

Also you can do an internal HD -> SSD upgrade.

Reactions: Aii

montiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2023
Recommend calling the MacSales people and find out what they can offer. They do claim you model can go to 32GB of RAM:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2011/DDR3_21.5_27

Also you can do an internal HD -> SSD upgrade.
Yes, I have already replaced my CD-Rom with an SSD drive (240GB from Radeon), as far as I understand, the RAM must be taken with 16 chips on the stick, that is, 8gb * 4, and which processor is better to install? I'd like to install an i7, but I can't find a list of supported processors on my imac

montiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2023
Will the Intel Core™ i7-3770 processor run the iMac without any extra steps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.