Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Italy
Hello everybody, this is my first post here.
I'm here since starting from today, iMac 2011 is officially unsupported (as not supported by macOS Mojave).

I'm the owner of an already boosted iMac Mid 2011 21.5": I've installed inside it a total of 12 GBs of RAM and a 250 GB SSD (behind the optical reader). Since I've already repaired some phones and opened this iMac, I've already all the tools I might need and I saw the guide of iFixit that reaches the GPU.

The "unsupported status" got mainly applied due to a missing Metal support on the mounted GPUs (and might be probably due to iSight camera missing support, I read somewhere).

Since my Mac is still "new" and powerful (made 7 years about a month ago), I would like to upgrade it in some way and, at least make it reach 10 years before changing it (I know I'm not forced to change it due to unsupported status).

I found some threads in here about iMacs 2011 upgrades and learned some new things (like the GPU is an MXM - don't know the difference between A and B) but I still don't know a lot of things.

For example, I don't know how to recognize a compatible MXM GPU or where to find it (since I'm writing from Italy).

Do you know if there are some Metal-ready GPUs that might work with iMac 2011? And can someone share knowledge about this topic? I'm more on the software side and less on the hardware side.

Moreover, I heard about Network card (Bluetooth/wifi) upgrade. Does anybody know something about and knows compatible models?

Thank you very much.
Alexander.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.