Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazybrave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Singapore
Switch on my Imac today suddenly got this screen.

The Imac is connected to a second monitor and everything is working fine.

Anyone know what's wrong with the monitor and how can I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

S

Attachments

• IMG_6339.JPG
    IMG_6339.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 590

crazybrave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Singapore
Either LCD or LCD cable. Is there an Apple Store local to you?

Yeah that's what I thought. Yes there is just thought i do preliminary check before bringing it in. Anyway of checking if its the cable and not the screen? The price different between the two is quite vast.

Thanks in advance

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah that's what I thought. Yes there is just thought i do preliminary check before bringing it in. Anyway of checking if its the cable and not the screen? The price different between the two is quite vast.

Thanks in advance

I'm afraid there's no easy way that I know of to check; it's not the simplest job to reseat the cable. I doubt Apple Hardware Test would identify the problem — and even if it did, I don't know how it'd distinguish between the two.

Regardless, the assessment by Apple will be free of charge, even if your iMac is out of warranty, so I hope that's at least some comfort.

crazybrave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Singapore
I'm afraid there's no easy way that I know of to check; it's not the simplest job to reseat the cable. I doubt Apple Hardware Test would identify the problem — and even if it did, I don't know how it'd distinguish between the two.

Regardless, the assessment by Apple will be free of charge, even if your iMac is out of warranty, so I hope that's at least some comfort.

Thanks man, will send them in and hopefully it is just the cable

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks man, will send them in and hopefully it is just the cable

Hopefully. Some consolation is that there is a repair program for the graphics card on this model. I really can't see how GPU failure would exhibit these issues, seeing as it works fine through an external monitor, but you never know.

Regardless, let me know what the news is; we'll stay positive and with any luck it'll all be okay. :)

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Take it out and "bake it" in the oven and reapply paste, and use a fan program like TG Pro to spin up the fans for the drive area to keep the card cooler. Did this with 3 27" units of varying years and for the last year no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.