Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
Hi
My new IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015) display glas is broken, and i was told they have to change the hole display because they are one piece! And that is really expensive, is there anything to do?

Is there anybody else having this problem?

Thx. Ebz

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Assuming your iMac took a fall, unfortunately they're correct when they say the glass and display are one fused-together part. This has been true since the late 2012 iMac.

You might be able to buy the glass+display assembly and make the repair yourself, but it still isn't cheap or easy to do.

Ebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
...no it didn't take a fall, actually i dont know what happened, maybe I hit with something and it got a crack on the one side that unfortunately got bigger and bigger. :-(

Ebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
use glue and try to stop the crack? I'll try that at once...good idea!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
use glue and try to stop the crack? I'll try that at once...good idea!
It can't hurt to try that, but I'm skeptical that it would work. Your only option is to replace the entire display panel given the fact its all glued together

Wouldn't AppleCare still be available?
Nope, unlike the iPhone AppleCare for computers does not cover accidental damage.

Ebz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
It can't hurt to try that, but I'm skeptical that it would work. Your only option is to replace the entire display panel given the fact its all glued together

Nope, unlike the iPhone AppleCare for computers does not cover accidental damage.

I have tryed to glue it but it didn't work. Now the crack has split the display in the middle, but the display still works so I think i have to live with it. I can hope the prizes for a display change will som day be cheaper.

SoulOfUniverse

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.