Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterOL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
I have new iMac with Retina display. I connected an external monitor monitor, Acer S277HK. It works fine once it starts up but the computer and monitor take 5 to 10 minutes to start. Can anyone help me?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have new iMac with Retina display. I connected an external monitor monitor, Acer S277HK. It works fine once it starts up but the computer and monitor take 5 to 10 minutes to start. Can anyone help me?

Is it just a white screen for ages when it starts up? If so, hold CMD + ALT + P + R on startup until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go.

MisterOL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
It's a black screen and both the computer's monitor and the external monitor with one the mouse showing.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
Does it boot fast (and/or not black screen) when the Acer isn't connected?
What happens when you plug in that display after it has booted?

MisterOL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
It boots fast when it is not connected and the monitor starts up when I plug it in.

MisterOL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
Right now I am using DP to mini DP. I have tried all the cords. I don't know why this is happening.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
A black screen suggests that the cable isn't quite able to handle the screen resolution. When it finally displays, is it at the full 3840x2560 at 60 Hz? Does it work OK at lower resolution/rate settings?

Also, what do you see first after that 5-10 min delay, on each screen? Is it still in the process of booting?

MisterOL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
A black screen suggests that the cable isn't quite able to handle the screen resolution. When it finally displays, is it at the full 3840x2560 at 60 Hz? Does it work OK at lower resolution/rate settings?

Also, what do you see first after that 5-10 min delay, on each screen? Is it still in the process of booting?

It's goes to 3840x2160 but I prefer it at 2560x1440. How do I get the Hz rate?

It works fine once it on.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
It's goes to 3840x2160 but I prefer it at 2560x1440. How do I get the Hz rate?

It works fine once it on.

See About This Mac > System Report > Graphics/Displays. It should have the Hz there, but may not for that display. At any rate (so to speak), the important part is if the problem goes away at a lower resolution setting, which it sounds as though it doesn't.

What exactly do you see first after that 5-10 min delay, on each screen? Is it still in the process of booting?

Doing a Verbose Boot may be a good next step (hold Cmd-V during the power-on chime).

MisterOL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2016
See About This Mac > System Report > Graphics/Displays. It should have the Hz there, but may not for that display. At any rate (so to speak), the important part is if the problem goes away at a lower resolution setting, which it sounds as though it doesn't.

What exactly do you see first after that 5-10 min delay, on each screen? Is it still in the process of booting?

Doing a Verbose Boot may be a good next step (hold Cmd-V during the power-on chime).

I see a black screen with a mouse that move on both black screens. After about 5 min I move the mouse and it on.

I display part told me it's going at 60 hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.