Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You have the same problem?

• Yes, it's normal coil whine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it may be a bad power supply unit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lostover91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
Rome
Hello, I have read several messages about this, but I found no clear answer. My iMac 2017 5K high end configuration with pure ssd, since day 1 has an electric noise every time something is moving on the screen. This is only audible when my room is silent and i place my ear near the iMac. It seems to come from the bottom left area of the machine, where the power supply unit is located. It's not so loud but rather annoying. I am still in the 14 days window so I would like to know if you guys have the same problem and it can be considered ''normal'', because on that case I will keep this unit instead of swapping it for a new one. Thanks in advance

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I had the same problem with my late 2014 5k 27" iMac. It's the power supply ramping the CPU voltage up during scrolling, and unfortunately not much you can do about it other than replacing the power supply. If it drives you insane then you can always return your iMac for another one which may or may not have the same issue. I learned to live with it until I sold the iMac a few years later.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
N
Hello, I have read several messages about this, but I found no clear answer. My iMac 2017 5K high end configuration with pure ssd, since day 1 has an electric noise every time something is moving on the screen. This is only audible when my room is silent and i place my ear near the iMac. It seems to come from the bottom left area of the machine, where the power supply unit is located. It's not so loud but rather annoying. I am still in the 14 days window so I would like to know if you guys have the same problem and it can be considered ''normal'', because on that case I will keep this unit instead of swapping it for a new one. Thanks in advance
Not normal. If it annoys you, swap it. :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"This is only audible when my room is silent and i place my ear near the iMac."

Solution:
Keep your ear at least 24" from the iMac.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Either they all do it or yours has a defect and should be exchanged. Time spent waiting for whatever answer you are looking for is wasted.

Solution:
Keep your ear at least 24" from the iMac.

Otherwise, that's the best answer you are likely to get.

Get to an Apple store and have a listen—preferably when no one is near. You probably don't have a stethoscope but any flexible tube or metal rod can be used to improvise a listening device that can isolate the noise.

Reactions: Fishrrman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.