Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brachaci

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
Hi guys,

I own 27'' 2020 iMac i5 6-core 3.1 GHz, 8GB RAM (bought Nov 2020). In general I do not have any major issues while using it (work, zoom meetings, some coding in Xcode), but there are two things that are bugging me.

1. iMac freezes from time to time (sometimes it unfreezes). In time I've identified that it usually happens while using TV App, or Music App. Again, by using I mean browsing for new music or going through my library while choosing what to listen. Same with TV App. No dark magic.
If it does not make it through, iMac will go black on display and after a while it shows the message: "Your computer restarted because of problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up". After reboot everything goes well again for some time.

2. This surprised me a lot, but couple weeks ago iMac just crash and during restart froze with glitched display all over the size. I've turned it off and on again. It took considerably more time to boot (2-3 minutes). It did not happen again, but given the issues with freezing aren't going anyway with all the updates coming for Big Sur, I think it is only matter of time when it will happen again.

Does anyone have similar experience, any advice what could be the problem?

Cheers
Snímka obrazovky 2021-04-27 o 21.02.01.png

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I looks like a GPU (graphics card/chip) problem to me or maybe a graphic driver issue. But if this happens at starting up the computer and the Apple logo doesn't show up, than it is definitely something wrong with you GPU.

Brachaci

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Slovakia
I looks like a GPU (graphics card/chip) problem to me or maybe a graphic driver issue. But if this happens at starting up the computer and the Apple logo doesn't show up, than it is definitely something wrong with you GPU.
I had similar problem back in the day with my MacBook Pro 17 (2011) and back then it was fixed outside warranty. Apple recognized it was an issue with graphic card and fixed it without any charges applied. It also started randomly with these glitches, but in time it happened more and more often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.