Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DINCAO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2021
Hey Guys I've made it!Upgrade done! I7 4790K Inside! Same Thing! The only issue is the temperature. It hits easily 100 degrees on Benchmark test. I've used a TM30 Thermal Paste Corsair. Anything I can do to lower the temperature ? I also watched a video from a intel engineer and he said this kind of temperature is a FEATURE, like an auto overclocking after 80 degrees. Also I haven't notice a BIG DIFERENCE I would say ZERO in terms of performance compared to the I5 4690.

I don't know what to do.......

Attachments

• tempImagenc4Hi2.png
    tempImagenc4Hi2.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 148

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah, Intel and Apple consider it “performance left on the table” if you’re not pushing against the TJunction, which is 100C for that chip. - It will emergency shut down if temps are dangerous and of course turn down speeds and up fans before that. Fan can actually go to 3600RPM, even though 2700 is the “max”. If it thinks the temperature is too hard to manage it’ll go that far, and if it still can’t keep it down shut down on its own.

Can you measure a performance difference in tests? The CPU difference may just be smaller than you expect. Or may just not matter in the types of tasks you do.

For that specific model iMac, if you have the R9 M295X, be more wary of its temps than the CPU. Though looks like you have the 290 so it may not be a concern at all. My old R9 M295X could hit 110C even without pushing it 100% and it eventually killed the system. (my new iMac is much better thermally)

As long as you actually benchmark within expected values for a Devil’s Canyon i7 iMac, I’d say you’re probably hitting exactly what’s to be expected. If you’re actually benchmarking significantly lower, well, yeah might need to make sure there’s good thermal contact with the heating and CPU and fan is set properly and all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.