Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tho-do

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a new 2017 iMac 27" 5k from Apple directly with following spec:

4,2 GHz Quad‑Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4,5 GHz)
40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 (ordering 8 GB from Apple and upgrading 32 GB more myself)
1 TB SSD
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

My main interest: photo editing with Adobe Lightroom CLassic CC and Photoshop.

Now I read on some pages, that on 5k iMacs, the performance of the new Lightroom Classic CC would be terrible with lots of lags in browsing and developing photos. Of course, I don't want to buy a machine not capable of working with speed in Lightroom, because now I have a pretty decent Win10-machine and only want to go back to MacOS, simply because I love the OS (and dislike Windows).

So can anyone confirm, if the new 2017 iMac 27" 5k runs with Lightroom Classic CC in good speed / lag-free or if these bad reports about lot of lags in photo editing are true?

Thanks for any help!

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
My iMac replaced an old Mac Pro 12 core 3,33 GHz. I think the new one is more smooth with LR CC.
RAW images from my Sony A7 Mk II worked like a charm. No lag, just pure speed.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a new 2017 iMac 27" 5k from Apple directly with following spec:

1 TB SSD
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Now I read on some pages, that on 5k iMacs, the performance of the new Lightroom Classic CC would be terrible with lots of lags in browsing and developing photos. Of course, I don't want to buy a machine not capable of working with speed in Lightroom, because now I have a pretty decent Win10-machine and only want to go back to MacOS, simply because I love the OS (and dislike Windows).

So can anyone confirm, if the new 2017 iMac 27" 5k runs with Lightroom Classic CC in good speed / lag-free or if these bad reports about lot of lags in photo editing are true?

Thanks for any help!

It’s a very powerful computer it’s just some photo editing it will be fine hell it should scream through 4 k video editing in fcpx as well.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Its not the machines fault, Lightroom even in its new guise runs badly on most hardware. Its just not very well optimised.

Adobe just isnt getting its act together. I have a modern i7 pc at work and it runs about the same as my 6 core 3.46 2010 mac pro.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Adobe just isnt getting its act together.
Why should they? They really don't have any major competition, and they're making money hand over fist with subscriptions. There's no motivation on their part because people are not leaving the platform, even though so many folks do complain

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Hi everyone,

1 TB SSD
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Thanks for any help!

I have pretty much exactly your spec and my main pro-apps use is Lightroom Classic CC. Runs great - no lag / performance issues - and huge improvement on Mac Pro 2008 I had albeit pimped up over time. The screen is awesome too.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I have the 2014 version of the i7 iMac 5K, and Lightroom actually runs very well on it. Almost all of the develop module adjustments are very smooth. For most operations I would say Lightroom is as fast or faster than Capture One 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.