Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I’m seriously considering buying a new iMac next week. However, I’ve heard rumors that new iMacs may be released in January with a more powerful chip. What does everyone think? Should I buy the middle of the road iMac for $1499 next week or should I hold out and wait until after Christmas and see what’s released after the New Year? Please advise.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I'm waiting for the new iMac myself. Not going to settle for Intel hardware and I have no need to run Windows. I also want a 120hz display so, waiting.

Reactions: Mac2004

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I’m seriously considering buying a new iMac next week. However, I’ve heard rumors that new iMacs may be released in January with a more powerful chip. What does everyone think? Should I buy the middle of the road iMac for $1499 next week or should I hold out and wait until after Christmas and see what’s released after the New Year? Please advise.
I have looked at the 24” iMac they have in Apple stores right now and they seem to be very nice and snappy. I’m not sure I want to wait til June. I thought something would be released the first part of January. I may just buy the current one then. Blue or silver.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I, too, would love to buy an new iMac, but I’m going to wait. Fortunately my current upgraded 2011 iMac still performs beautifully (I feel guilty about considering replacing it!) so I’m not desperate for a new machine. I want to see what the new big iMac will be like as well as the later upgraded M2 iMac 24in. Indeed I am actually more interested in a newer 24in. because I like its size better—physically it is only marginally bigger in height and width over my current 21.5, but has a significantly bigger display. The new big iMac will be distinctly larger for the space I have available. We’ll see.

If I really needed a new machine I’d go for it now. But being able to wait means my next computer will be even better than what is currently available.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Personally I would wait see what the new has to offer if/when it is out. 24 is OK I suppose. Probably use mine as a trade in, depending on prices.

I say that assuming 24 will be around for a while even with upgraded chips and prices remain equivalent?

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
There will always be a 'better' device coming. If you wait for that, you'll never buy anything. Buyer's remorse of buying a device and then discovering a new model next week (because we all the want the newest, shiniest model - even if we have no idea how that will make our lives better) is always out there.

That said, the current crop of iMacs and MacBooks are running the first generation of M processors, so if anything is going to go wrong with this new system, this is the era it most likely will. But if you've not seen any reports that have frightened you off - and there's been no reports of mass failures / spontaneous combustion that I've seen - then why not get it, especially if you luck into some sort of a sale?

Speaking of which, always check out your country's Apple Store website 'Refurbished and Clearance' for discounted models - Refurb'd units here (could be returns via buyer remorse / wrong model / open box or minor work needed) are individually checked out (so arguably better than factory floor new), cleaned and repaired, if needed. Comes with full Apple warranty and AppleCare+ availability. Stock changes all the time.

Sidebar: While I appreciate there is this contingent that always seek to 'super-size' everything (see America's love of pickup trucks, Hummers and SUVs when really, most everyone probably just needs a two door), I really am sorry people are flogging for even larger screen size on iMac (I daresay it suggests our eyesight is getting worse - looking at screens all day) and would have liked to see a 21" maintained with a M processor. Something that doesn't necessarily take over space in a home office.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Old saying applies:
If you NEED now, then BUY now.

If you're doing ok right now, and can wait a little longer -- good things may come if you do so.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I’d look at my use cases. The M1 is so quick and snappy that unless you are doing something very specific such as rendering videos or complex musical arrangements it will handle everything you throw at it with aplomb.

If it does what you need, why wait? A larger iMac Pro is undoubtedly going to cost more as well.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
A larger iMac Pro is undoubtedly going to cost more as well.
This is what I’m thinking. I would be happy with a 24in. display as it would be a good step up from my 21.5. I have already priced an M1 iMac I could get (green, 16GB RAM and 512 or 1TB SSD), but I find myself waiting mostly to see if we will get an M2 iMac eventually and what it will be like.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
This is what I’m thinking. I would be happy with a 24in. display as it would be a good step up from my 21.5. I have already priced an M1 iMac I could get (green, 16GB RAM and 512 or 1TB SSD), but I find myself waiting mostly to see if we will get an M2 iMac eventually and what it will be like.

I’m sure there will be an M2 iMac eventually, but how long are you willing to wait? It’ll probably be about 20% faster in CPU and about 50% faster in GPU, but I think first half of 2023 is about the right timing. That’s a year and a quarter, maybe a year and a half during which you could be using an M1 iMac, and if it is fast enough already and you don’t notice the speed difference, what would be the point.

I doubt whether Mini-LED screens will make it to the iMacs so quickly, which is the only thing I’d be willing to hold out for.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I’m sure there will be an M2 iMac eventually, but how long are you willing to wait?
Two years ago I upgraded my 2011 21.5 to its current state: i7 2600S, 500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD and 32GB RAM. It was like getting a brand new computer. It runs like a dream. The only downside is that it’s stuck at High Sierra, and I’m not willing to jump through hoops to get it to run anything newer because the computer as is does everything I want.

So, as I said upthread, I’m not desperate for a new machine. That being the case I can wait for the next upgrade for the 24in. iMac.

Another reason to wait, because I can, is I have another big expense looming in the Spring. I want to upgrade the alloy wheels on my car from my current 17in. to 18in. Consequently that means larger wheels will necessitate new tires to fit them. I’ve costed the wheels and tires I want and it will be near the same as buying a new iMac spec’d the way I want it. Being able to wait means I can spread the cost of both over the space of about a year or so.

Actually I have been waiting over a year for new wheels already. I had planned/hoped to upgrade my wheels last Spring, but Covid-19 in general and uncertainties at work had cautioned me to postpone the purchase. Now things look to be stabilizing particularly with high vaccination rates here in Ontario (Canada).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.