Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
I have had this problem also since last year. Enough that I didn't even consider it was my new UPS causing problems. I paid to have my 27" 2019 retina 5K also.

So I had asked and someone said the iMac is a workhorse and the UPS likes to take breaks and it was causing my iMac to freeze and reboot itself. Mind you I also had more outlets and hired electric company to add in more electricity to my house.

My UPS is from Costco and I purchased a new one from last year as I thought maybe it was my old UPS (same brand but older).

Now I have my iMac plugged into the wall and not UPS. My old 27" that I upgraded and gave to my dad never had one problem with the UPS. So it is for sure something to do with Mac.

I redid my desk area since I painted. Now I am plugging in my external harddrives to the UPS and both connected to the back of my iMac and guess what? It froze and restarted. I unplugged both external harddrives and it restarted with no problems.

Seriously I have ZERO idea why it's doing this!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I currently have 2019 27" iMac 5K with i9 and Vega48 running on a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD without any issues at all. CyberPower is connected to the wall normally and USB into the iMac.

What OS version?
Is the CyberPower connected to iMac via USB?
Does your CyberPower support AVR?

The LCD models of CyberPower can also change to an advanced power level based on the input variability, which changes the tolerability triggers for battery cycle. Might be worth exploring.

Manual and guide for mine:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.