Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillowH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I need some buying advice. I work mostly with after effects but I also use a lot of Photoshop and illustrator and some premiere for light video editing.
My current MacBook can't handle my after effects projects anymore and that is my main focus.
I was considering getting the top of the line 27 inch and upgrade the cpu to the i7 but now I'm not so sure.
I saw some tests for the i5 vs i7 and it seems to not make a very big difference in after effects. It makes a big difference for premiere, but I don't use that as much. If I get the i7 I'll have to wait a month, and I'm really struggling with the work I'm doing right now, if I get the i5 I can get it much faster since it's a standard configuration. I also saw some people saying the i7 is getting really hot, and that might be a problem.
But I also don't want to regret the purchase in a few years.
Can anyone give me some advice? For after effects, will the i7 really not make much of a difference? Thank you

dlmb

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
I need some buying advice. I work mostly with after effects but I also use a lot of Photoshop and illustrator and some premiere for light video editing.
My current MacBook can't handle my after effects projects anymore and that is my main focus.
I was considering getting the top of the line 27 inch and upgrade the cpu to the i7 but now I'm not so sure.
I saw some tests for the i5 vs i7 and it seems to not make a very big difference in after effects. It makes a big difference for premiere, but I don't use that as much. If I get the i7 I'll have to wait a month, and I'm really struggling with the work I'm doing right now, if I get the i5 I can get it much faster since it's a standard configuration. I also saw some people saying the i7 is getting really hot, and that might be a problem.
But I also don't want to regret the purchase in a few years.
Can anyone give me some advice? For after effects, will the i7 really not make much of a difference? Thank you

Did you ever find a solution? I find myself in a similar boat and am considering replacing my 2011 iMac with a high-end 2017 iMac (max memory, 1TB SSD) with an additional external SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.