Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicktenBroeke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
Hi there,

I've been struggling with quite a big problem lately. Every time I try to back up my iMac via Time Machine the iMac eventually freezes and then reboots. I started trying every 'fix' I could find on the internet. I tried turning off indexing, fixing disk permissions, disk utility, backing up in safe mode, all to no avail. Desperate to get a back up I took a risk; I formatted the back up disk losing all previous back ups in the process. Sadly, it still doesn't work so now I've ended up with no back ups at all on a professionally used computer.

After trying a bunch of different things to get more info I discovered that a similar thing happens when moving very large folders. Somewhere mid transfer the mac freezes and then shuts down. However, in an attempt to back up the most important files I started backing up manually by dragging batches of folders over to the back up disk, waiting for it to finish and then moving on to the next batch. It only crashed once following this procedure and that was when I tried to move a very large single folder.

Some info to what I use:
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I run all my files from an external Lacie D2 thunderbolt series, all programmes are installed on the mac.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. It seems a full re-install is the only option left but this means returning the Lacie disk first which in turn means that I won't be able to work (I work in music so everything I need is on there). Also installing everything manually will take up an enormous amount of time.

Thanks in advance for anyone replying.

Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.