Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
So, as you may know, I sold all my PPC Macs but one, my iMac G4 700MHz. It was running Tiger, but after I heard the LeoRebirth dock issue would soon be fixed, I decided to upgrade to Leopard. The way I used to do this was to boot my iBook G4 (which, by Apple's requirements, supported Leopard) and into the Leopard installer and install on my iMac in TDM.

Now, with the iBook gone, I know of no way to install Leopard. I created an "Installer" partition on the iMac with the Leopard installer on it and tried to install it from there... only then was I reminded the machine wasn't technically supported. :p

So, how should I install Leopard now? I assume the Installer partition has to be modified in some way?

Thanks,
Henry

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, as you may know, I sold all my PPC Macs but one, my iMac G4 700MHz. It was running Tiger, but after I heard the LeoRebirth dock issue would soon be fixed, I decided to upgrade to Leopard. The way I used to do this was to boot my iBook G4 (which, by Apple's requirements, supported Leopard) and into the Leopard installer and install on my iMac in TDM.

Now, with the iBook gone, I know of no way to install Leopard. I created an "Installer" partition on the iMac with the Leopard installer on it and tried to install it from there... only then was I reminded the machine wasn't technically supported. :p

So, how should I install Leopard now? I assume the Installer partition has to be modified in some way?

Thanks,
Henry
????

You can't boot Leopard from the DVD on your Blackbook and put your iMac in TDM?

The install is universal, so you'd be able to boot the iMac after it's done.

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa

Thanks,
Henry

Use the fully updated PPC only 10.5.8 dmg on the web. Takes a few hours over USB to restore but it's worthit.

Does Leopard Assist work?

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
????

You can't boot Leopard from the DVD on your Blackbook and put your iMac in TDM?

The install is universal, so you'd be able to boot the iMac after it's done.
LOL I never thought of that! I forgot Leopard worked on Intels. :p This sounds like the thing to do, thanks!
[doublepost=1500493950][/doublepost]
Use the fully updated PPC only 10.5.8 dmg on the web. Takes a few hours over USB to restore but it's worthit.

There's a fully updated dmg out there? That would make things a lot easier! Where can I find it, Macintosh Garden?

Reactions: eyoungren

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
LOL I never thought of that! I forgot Leopard worked on Intels. :p This sounds like the thing to do, thanks!
[doublepost=1500493950][/doublepost]
There's a fully updated dmg out there? That would make things a lot easier! Where can I find it, Macintosh Garden?

Nope, found it on the net years ago. File name is "MacOSX-10.5.8-Leopard_PPCOnly_Restore_Image.dmg"

I'll upload it if ya can't find it

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Nope, found it on the net years ago. File name is "MacOSX-10.5.8-Leopard_PPCOnly_Restore_Image.dmg"

I'll upload it if ya can't find it
So, is it an installer or just an image you restore to the hard drive? This iMac G4 can't boot from USB, but I can download the file on my Blackbook and restore it to the iMac hard drive using FW.
[doublepost=1500494479][/doublepost]Hm, been searching around, and I only found a few different sites with that file name, and they all just link to the MEGA download, which is broken.

If you could upload it that'd be great. :)
[doublepost=1500494526][/doublepost]
That's a good idea, but I no longer have an OS on this Mac. :(

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
So, is it an installer or just an image you restore to the hard drive? This iMac G4 can't boot from USB, but I can download the file on my Blackbook and restore it to the iMac hard drive using FW.
[doublepost=1500494479][/doublepost]Hm, been searching around, and I only found a few different sites with that file name, and they all just link to the MEGA download, which is broken.

If you could upload it that'd be great. :)
[doublepost=1500494526][/doublepost]
That's a good idea, but I no longer have an OS on this Mac. :(

It's an image to restore on your hard drive. Get a pendrive, format it as HFS+ (you can do it via Linux) and restore it on your HDD from the Tiger boot DVD (may work with the Panther CDs). I'll shoot you a PM later

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
I know they suggested restoring a hard drive image from the tiger dvd, just be prepared to wait okay? I did this once on my friends iMac G4. It took 8 hours to restore the hard drive image. Worth it? Of course. Felt the pain of USB 1.0? Definitely.

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
I know they suggested restoring a hard drive image from the tiger dvd, just be prepared to wait okay? I did this once on my friends iMac G4. It took 8 hours to restore the hard drive image. Worth it? Of course. Felt the pain of USB 1.0? Definitely.

The image I have takes about 3-4 hours on USB 1.1 as it's stripped down :) It's worthit tho as I don't have any DL discs

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
The image I have takes about 3-4 hours on USB 1.1 as it's stripped down :) It's worthit tho as I don't have any DL discs

I didn’t have that luxury. I installed 10.5.8 to my 2009 MacBook, added all the tweaks my friend needed, then carbon cloned the HD and restored it in the tiger installer.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
I didn’t have that luxury. I installed 10.5.8 to my 2009 MacBook, added all the tweaks my friend needed, then carbon cloned the HD and restored it in the tiger installer.

I've been using a classic 15GB, 3rd gen iPod (with the row of four touch buttons) as a dedicated Firewire Leopard installation "Disc" for the past 10 years. The battery is shot, but plug it in and it doesn't miss a beat. Installation takes about 10-15 minutes. :apple:

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
I've been using a classic 15GB, 3rd gen iPod (with the row of four touch buttons) as a dedicated Firewire Leopard installation "Disc" for the past 10 years. The battery is shot, but plug it in and it doesn't miss a beat. Installation takes about 10-15 minutes. :apple:

Why didn't they make Firewire pendrives???

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Why didn't they make Firewire pendrives???

There were one or two proposed, but I don't think they ever made it to market.

FW requires you to pay a licensing fee to Apple to use it and it never had the installed base of USB. Given the price/capacity ratio we've become accustomed to on USB thumb drives, I'm not sure if anyone would like the price of a FW drive.

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
There were one or two proposed, but I don't think they ever made it to market.

FW requires you to pay a licensing fee to Apple to use it and it never had the installed base of USB. Given the price/capacity ratio we've become accustomed to on USB thumb drives, I'm not sure if anyone would like the price of a FW drive.

True true. Quite amazing to see that no Chinese companies even tried it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.