Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
So I recently got an iMac G5 from a goodwill with nothing but the iMac itself and the power cable. Whenever I try to boot it up, it powers on and displays the Apple Logo, but doesn't progress any further. The fans also spin up quite a bit.

I'm able to get into the drive selector (option key at startup) which displays Macintosh HD as an OS X startup volume. I'm also able to get into OpenFirmware just fine. I also tried clearing the NVRAM. I took the back off, cleaned out the dust and I didn't see any capacitors that look busted (in researching I discovered this might be the issues). I also took out the HD and connected it to my 2018 Mac mini and it just said it was uninitialized, which is weird considering I had no issue mounting a drive from a different Mac from around that era, but it does properly show up in the iMac's boot menu.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Turns out it was just something wrong with the HD. Booted into the recovery DVD, ended up not being able to repair the disk. Wiped it and did a clean install, seems to work fine.

nikey22

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
ON, Canada
The capacitors will still be a problem here. There are 24 1800μF 6.3v, and 5 1000μF 16v that need to be replaced. If these are the original ones, they will surely fail. There was a problem with electrolyte formula in the caps during this time-period.

You will need a soldering iron that is 60W. This is a multi-layer board (acting as a huge heat-sink) and the solder used is lead-free and has a higher melting temperature.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
The capacitors will still be a problem here. There are 24 1800μF 6.3v, and 5 1000μF 16v that need to be replaced. If these are the original ones, they will surely fail. There was a problem with electrolyte formula in the caps during this time-period.

You will need a soldering iron that is 60W. This is a multi-layer board (acting as a huge heat-sink) and the solder used is lead-free and has a higher melting temperature.
I second this, I have no experience personally with these systems, but I do know the capacitors are prone to failure.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Alternate take here - if it works, use it till it doesn't then decide whether to attempt a fix.

My 2.0 ALS had bulging PSU caps, with random power off as the symptoms. I replaced the psi caps, lasted a few months iirc before psi made a pop sound and was done.

Replaced the original psi with a PC ATX psi and iirc that lasted a fair bit longer before failing. Replaced it with a higher spec psi and it runs to this day.

No mainboard caps have been replaced or shown visible signs of probs.

Reactions: RogerWilco6502

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Im in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp.

I'm more inclined to upgrade the hard drive to a SSD as the existing spinner is squirrelly. The inside of those Imac G5s are really nice to look at too - much nicer than the g1 intel imac.

imacg5.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.