Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thezachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
A few days ago, I tried to restore the hard drive of my iMac G5 from an install disk - while it was running off of the hard drive. I quickly realized my mistake when letters literally started disappearing from the screen. when I try to turn it on, it gets stuck on the Apple logo with the loading animation. it was running OS X 10.4.11. I am trying to update it to 10.5.7 p. I have the disk and am able to select it from the boot picker. It begins to load and then gives me the following message:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 244

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I had a similar prob after trying to install linux to a complete drive install.
Couldn't get 10.5 to re-install..so went back to 10.4 ...and surprise, surprise...it worked..

worth a shot..

Reactions: Thezachary

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Are you using a grey 10.5.7 disc for an Intel Mac? If so, that's likely the problem. Use a retail disc.

Reactions: Thezachary

Thezachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Are you using a grey 10.5.7 disc for an Intel Mac? If so, that's likely the problem. Use a retail disc.
I am using a 10.5.7 grey disk. I will order a retail disk and update this thread once try to use the disk.

Thezachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
A few days ago, I tried to restore the hard drive of my iMac G5 from an install disk - while it was running off of the hard drive. I quickly realized my mistake when letters literally started disappearing from the screen. when I try to turn it on, it gets stuck on the Apple logo with the loading animation. it was running OS X 10.4.11. I am trying to update it to 10.5.7 p. I have the disk and am able to select it from the boot picker. It begins to load and then gives me the following message:
Update: I got leopard to install via usb shortly after I placed my order for the dvd I just got the dvd today and that also works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.