Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geo.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm planning to get a new iMac with processor i9 and upgrade it to 64GB RAM and 1TB SSD. But I don't know what to choose for graphics. I would like to know if anyone has experience with the new iMac (with i9 processor) and any of the 2 graphic cards. My main concern is: it is worth the upgrade to Vega 48 for doing tasks that are related only with Graphic Design?

- There are no video editing tasks / 3D or any kind of work with videos.
- No gaming

Main software used for tasks:
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Ilustrator CC
- Adobe InDesign CC

I don't know if there are performance differences if I choose Vega 48 for this kind of tasks. Or does it matter the graphic card at all for this kind of tasks? Also I would like to know if Vega 48 could help for cooling, even if doesn't help with tasks?

Thanks!

mixart

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
No, I don't think you will notice any different. Photoshop likes CPU/RAM :) If you were doing some 4K video edit like After Effects or gaming, then you could consider it.

geo.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2019
No, I don't think you will notice any different. Photoshop likes CPU/RAM :) If you were doing some 4K video edit like After Effects or gaming, then you could consider it.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same, CPU/RAM is more important. I guess I will go with i9 + Radeon Pro 580X.

Still I would like to know if 580X will keep the iMac quiet and its temperature doesn't go so high when under load. I read Vega 48 does a good job keeping the iMac cool.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.