Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lasniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Hi there,

We got 7 iMacs (21,5) for our classroom (school).

I would like to ask you what to you suggest to use as accounts.

Can I have one administrator account for all of them and then use standard accounts (with parental controls).

What's your opinion?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can I have one administrator account for all of them and then use standard accounts (with parental controls).
That's what I would do, have a non-admin account with parental controls that the students will use to sign in. Have a single admin so you can deal with any issues.

lasniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2015
That's what I would do, have a non-admin account with parental controls that the students will use to sign in. Have a single admin so you can deal with any issues.

Thank you!

I was wondering what about Mac App Store. Using local accounts I won't be able to download apps from there. Do you believe that is this a disadvantage?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was wondering what about Mac App Store. Using local accounts I won't be able to download apps from there. Do you believe that is this a disadvantage?
I think that's an advantage as you don't want your student's loading applications without your knowledge.

lasniko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2015
I think that's an advantage as you don't want your student's loading applications without your knowledge.

This is correct.

I would like to be able to download apps in order the students to use them. The problem is that I don't want to use my personal Apple ID. Should I go for a new Apple ID?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would like to be able to download apps in order the students to use them. The problem is that I don't want to use my personal Apple ID. Should I go for a new Apple ID?
You shouldn't use your own ID, the school or your school system needs to have that setup some how. To be honest, I'm not sure how you would go about that, but I'd check with the principal or another school to see how they did that.

Reactions: lasniko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.