Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Hello,

recently i installed a SSD in my late 2009 21,5 iMac instead of the superdrive.
Unfortunately the negotiated speed link of this SATA-port (NVidia MCP79 AHCI) remains at 1,5G.

1. Now i am wondering if there is a chance, that if i replace the old HD with the SSD, the negotiated link speed will increase to 3G, although it is the same NVIDIA controller?

2. Also i read about the problem with the thermal sensor: would it be possible to install the old HD instead of the superdrive and would the internal thermal sensor work?

3. Would i need another bay adapter for the SSD or can i use the one i already used to install the SSD instead of the superdrive?

Thanks for any hints!

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Hello,

recently i installed a SSD in my late 2009 21,5 iMac instead of the superdrive.
Unfortunately the negotiated speed link of this SATA-port (NVidia MCP79 AHCI) remains at 1,5G.

1. Now i am wondering if there is a chance, that if i replace the old HD with the SSD, the negotiated link speed will increase to 3G, although it is the same NVIDIA controller?

2. Also i read about the problem with the thermal sensor: would it be possible to install the old HD instead of the superdrive and would the internal thermal sensor work?

3. Would i need another bay adapter for the SSD or can i use the one i already used to install the SSD instead of the superdrive?

Thanks for any hints!

MCP79 has known issues with Sandforce controllers negotiating down to SATA1. I assume you bought a Sandforce based SSD? I would suggest you return it and get any non-Sandforce SSD to solve the issue. I personally recommend Samsung 850 EVO for good price/performance and 5 year warranty.

I believe that you can solve the fan speed issue with a free program online called SSD Fan Control.

yoku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I should have posted that information earlier: i bought exactly that SSD – a Samsung Evo 850 500GB. Nevertheless, the link speed is 1,5G.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Thanks for your reply. I should have posted that information earlier: i bought exactly that SSD – a Samsung Evo 850 500GB. Nevertheless, the link speed is 1,5G.

Hmmm. I was aware that chipset had issues with Sandforce but unaware of issues with 850 EVO. You could try the SSD in the other position to see if it negotiates up to SATA2 speed (3G).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.