Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hzxu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
I bought 2x8GB RAM sticks for my late 2015 iMac that came with 2x4GB sticks of RAM, I put it in but the machine doesn't boot, I searched and found the RAM sticks have to be inserted in certain order, so it now ends up like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 7.59.29 am.png

I read from somewhere that the RAM sticks have better performance if installed in pair, ie. BANK 0 should have a pair of 8GB sticks and BANK 1 should have a pair of 4GBs, so I wonder if this is the case, then I'll try to make them in pairs.

Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looking at the RAM sticks in the slots, you should see either 4,8,4,8 or 8,4,8,4

The configuration that you show in your graphic should be one of those sets, and should give you best performance.
You should be OK with the setup that you show in your graphic.

Reactions: hzxu

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I bought 2x8GB RAM sticks for my late 2015 iMac that came with 2x4GB sticks of RAM, I put it in but the machine doesn't boot, I searched and found the RAM sticks have to be inserted in certain order, so it now ends up like this:

View attachment 1862622
I read from somewhere that the RAM sticks have better performance if installed in pair, ie. BANK 0 should have a pair of 8GB sticks and BANK 1 should have a pair of 4GBs, so I wonder if this is the case, then I'll try to make them in pairs.

Thanks!
Looks perfect, as you have the same amount of RAM in BANK 0 as BANK 1. (Bank is also known as channel)

Reactions: hzxu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.