Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemgoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2015
Portsmouth
Hi All,

I have a 2011 iMac and i have a weird issue with the LCD. On the left hand side of the display, there seems to be a dark ribbon. It has been like this for nearly 2 years and luckily hasn't got any worse. It doesn't cause me any problems, but i'm wondering what on earth it could be. Anything shown on the display still shows up through the dark area itself as shown in the video by my mouse pointer. The display backlight is fine for the rest of the display so i'm perplexed as to what it could be.

Please see the video i have uploaded to YouTube to see the issue.

Thankyou!

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
You don't need suction caps. You can just use your fingernails on the top, besides the isight camera to open the glass. Look at this old and a little blurry video of mine

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
You don't need suction caps. You can just use your fingernails on the top, besides the isight camera to open the glass. Look at this old and a little blurry video of mine

Lol, well the force they are held in by, suctioncups are the most practical and least damaging option.

kgian

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Lol, well the force they are held in by, suctioncups are the most practical and least damaging option.

Have you actually tried it? At least in the 2011 21.5 it's so easy that I can do it one handed as you can see in the video. Super easy and practically impossible to damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.