Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J@ckPhl@ck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Waukee, IA
I am a tech at an elementary school, and we have one particular lab of iMacs that are running into this problem. Occasionally, on almost all of the 30 computers in the lab, the mouse will become jumpy. It freezes for a second or so then picks back up. At first I thought it might have been something that the users installed on the machine, or maybe an app that was running in the background, but the issue will happen without any apps started or running. I watched it happen to one of the machines, and I had them reboot it, and it came back immediately after the reboot.

I tried opening up Activity Monitor to see if something was hogging system resources, but almost every time I open activity monitor, the problem disappears. I do have one machine that I am using as my test computer that is consistently having the problem that I have the activity monitor open on. The only thing I've noticed is that, as I view the CPU tab that the kernel_task process jumps up as I move the mouse. It currently has 116 threads, but still only has 1.6% of the CPU. I have no apps running.

Any thoughts on what I should look for?

Also, they are all using the mice that came with them, and not wireless mice. Some of the mice are plugged into the keyboards and some into the back of the computer itself. The problem seems to happen to both.

AND if I unplug the mouse and plug it into a different USB port, the problem goes away temporarily.

Here are the specs for all of them
OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.3
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)
2.7GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 1.32.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 1.32.41 PM.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.