Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cluberrlang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2018
I've have a 3tb fusion drive on imac that I had partitioned as a 2.45tb drive and a ~500gb other partition, when I was formatting the larger one the computer froze and I had to force shut down. That 2.45 drive is now not showing up at all. I've tried fresh installs, ran recovery mode and tried to format it from Disk utility there but no luck. I've put some screenshots there and I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Attachments

• disk utility 1.png
    disk utility 1.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 245
  • disk utility 2.png
    disk utility 2.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 166
  • disk utility 3.png
    disk utility 3.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 187
  • list disk.png
    list disk.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 181

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
It's been years, but I have seen drives die if a formatting/partitioning function would not complete, and was force quit. I have assumed when it happened the drive was already having a mechanical issue...and the operation pushed it over the edge.

Could be the case here.

OTOH, unless you have any data on it that you must recover or preserve, I would consider trying to reformat, but not as a Fusion drive....so you really test the drive, not just the volume. Breaking it apart takes a few steps.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have access to another, working Mac?
If you do, try this:

1. Get a USB flash drive 16gb or larger.
2. Install a clean copy of the OS onto the flashdrive (do not make it "an OS installer". Instead, set it up as a working Mac drive that you can boot to the finder).
3. Put a basic account on it. Again, you want a USB flash drive that is bootable to the finder.
4. Take it to the problem iMac.
5. Boot the iMac from it.
6. NOW open Disk Utility, and see if DU can "see" and re-initialize the internal drives.

Note:
DU may see two drives inside, because that's what's there (SSD portion and HDD portion).
If it was me, I'd re-initialize each of them and "let them be" as "standalone" drives, and go on from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.