Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I found disparate threads on the iMac Pro but does anyone know when GeekBench typically adds new machines their Mac Benchmarks chart?

I'd love to know what kind of score the 18 core config gets.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
You definitely won't see scores for the 18 core until it's out.

I believe the data on Geekbench as an aggregate of individuals uploading their results. So if 100 people with an iMac Pro 10 core upload their results, Geekbench will publish the average.
I'll go out on a limb and say that you can expect somewhere around 46500 from the 18 core

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Patience, once the iMac Pros start landing into customers (and reviewers) hands we'll start seeing benchmarks

Reactions: bplein

whwang

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
I've not seen this posted elsewhere:
Averaged iMac Pro GeekBench results are now available in comparison to other Macs:
https://browser.geekbench.com/macs/407

It's interesting that the 14-core one has a single-core score higher than the 10-core one, despite the lower base frequency. I guess this has something to do with Turbo Boost. Does this mean even for apps like Photoshop that highly rely on single-thread performance will still run faster on the 14-core system? Can the 14-core one outperform the 10-core one consistently on single-threaded tasks? Or just momentarily until the CPU becomes too hot, and then the performance will drop?

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
It's interesting that the 14-core one has a single-core score higher than the 10-core one, despite the lower base frequency. I guess this has something to do with Turbo Boost. Does this mean even for apps like Photoshop that highly rely on single-thread performance will still run faster on the 14-core system? Can the 14-core one outperform the 10-core one consistently on single-threaded tasks? Or just momentarily until the CPU becomes too hot, and then the performance will drop?
That 14-core score is an entry for a single machine. The 8 and 10-core scores are averages of many dozens of scores. There are many individual 10-core scores higher than that 14-core one. It will take many more entries before we really know the situation for that processor.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
That 14-core score is an entry for a single machine. The 8 and 10-core scores are averages of many dozens of scores. There are many individual 10-core scores higher than that 14-core one. It will take many more entries before we really know the situation for that processor.
How do you know it is just a single machine? I didn't think GeekBench added things to the table until there were a certain number of repeated observations.

EDIT: Scratch that. I've just searched for the processor name and seen there is only a single entry for the 14 core.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
How do you know it is just a single machine? I didn't think GeekBench added things to the table until there were a certain number of repeated observations.
I did too, and it was not in the aggregate table for a long time. But the numbers are the same as the single entry on December 20. I took a quick scan through the individual pages (there are now 20), and it is indeed still the only 14-core entry.

Reactions: Spectrum
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.