Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
USA
Hi,

Seems that iMac Pro has an issue with the built-in speakers. A buddy told me about this and I was able to replicate it on my machine. Wondering if any other iMac Pro owners can help test and report back in this thread, it takes only a few seconds and maybe it will catch the attention of Apple.

Test instructions:
1. Open Audio MIDI Setup.app in the Applications -> Utilities folder
2. Click "Configure Speakers..." button in the bottom right corner
3. Click the left front, then right front speakers which will play a sound out of them.

The issue: "Left front" should work fine, but "Right front" wrongly plays out of the left side speakers. Like it's stuck on left mono or something.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is that AFTER the 10.13.3 update that was released today? The iMac Pro has its own version of that update.

SeanM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
USA
Is that AFTER the 10.13.3 update that was released today? The iMac Pro has its own version of that update.

My friends iMac Pro is fully updated, I haven't installed todays update yet on mine though. So this issue is happening on both 10.13.2 and 10.13.3.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hi,

Seems that iMac Pro has an issue with the built-in speakers. A buddy told me about this and I was able to replicate it on my machine. Wondering if any other iMac Pro owners can help test and report back in this thread, it takes only a few seconds and maybe it will catch the attention of Apple.

Test instructions:
3. Click the left front, then right front speakers which will play a sound out of them.

The issue: "Left front" should work fine, but "Right front" wrongly plays out of the left side speakers. Like it's stuck on left mono or something.

It happens on my iMP as well. I've posted bug report to Apple.

Reactions: sputnikBA

tribaltek

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
I used external studio monitors, but tested anyways.
On 10.13.3. Can also confirm this issue with built-in speakers.

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hi,

Test instructions:

I think you will find this is an issue with the Audio MIDI Setup.app and not a hardware issue. Use the Sound Preference panel, select "iMac Pro Speakers" in the Output tab and while some sound/music is playing adjust the Balance slider between left and right. This should play sound intensity/volume out from the speakers as you adjust the balance. I did this and both left and right speakers in my iMP were correctly responding to the balance slider's position.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

multipasser

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Yes my 10c does the same! I really find the audioquality to be very bad! dissapointed.

Also my facetime +HD camera is NOT IN FOCUS! very soft image quality!
My macbook pro 2013 is tack sharp!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.