Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KalanHowse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2014
It seems to be a hot topic when discussing the performance for the Intel Xeon W-2150B (3GHz 10 core). I have spent a lot of time on these forums reading and hearing personal experiences and opinions regarding both the 8 and 10 Core variants.

In an attempt to make it easier for myself and hopefully others I would like to know what frequencies the 8 and 10 Core runs at over a large amount of time on single core instances.

Particularly the 10 Core due to its higher Turbo Boost frequency how long does it take until the 4.5GHz frequency drops? Short or long amount of time?

I’ll be purchasing two iMac Pros with the same configuration in a few weeks... I’ve done my research and am now faced with this dilemma. I will note that single-core instances will generally be in short periods of time (for example using InDesign, quickly opening, editing and closing Photoshop, this may mean (hopefully) that the TDP will stay lower and provide higher Turbo Boost frequencies. On the other hand when all of the cores are being utilised (a few times a day) they will be running for a time period between 5 minutes and 1 hour.

Reactions: Mac32
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.