Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you could only upgrade one component, which component would you pick?

• Total voters

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Hi there,

I am thinking about buying the new iMac Pro.
First of all: I know that every user prefers different configuration depending on their type of work, etc. So everything is highly subjective.

Coming from the base model of the iMac Pro, which components should be upgraded? CPU (more cores and other extras)? RAM? GPU? SSD?
Where do you see the most benefit? What is the best value for money?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi there,

I am thinking about buying the new iMac Pro.
First of all: I know that every user prefers different configuration depending on their type of work, etc. So everything is highly subjective.

Coming from the base model of the iMac Pro, which components should be upgraded? CPU (more cores and other extras)? RAM? GPU? SSD?
Where do you see the most benefit? What is the best value for money?

You said it yourself that is a question that will be answered differently for every use case. I would say the GPU is probably your best value for money and if everything else meets your needs then a graphics boost will extend the life of the machine more than any other option. As ram can be upgraded after market, external storage can be added easily, and if the 8 core is good enough for you now it will probably remain so for a long while.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
For me, 8 core is plenty. However, more GPU for AI and/or video rendering would help. RAM can be upgraded (I assume) and as for storage, well, a good TB enclosure would be much cheaper than €3360 for 3TB.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know that every user prefers different configuration
You hit the head on the nail with that one.

For me, disk space is primary, so if I were to choose anything to upgrade it would be that. With that said, the iMac Pro is a machine that I really don't need (nor afford ;) ) but if I were buying, storage is king for me.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
You can add more fast storage with the TB3 interface, you can also add an external eGPU with TB3. And Ram can be upgraded although you will need Apple (or an Apple repair shop) to do it. The CPU is the only thing you cannot change after the fact, but the GPU is kinda of tied in too. But CPU for me.

benoitc

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2015
You said it yourself that is a question that will be answered differently for every use case. I would say the GPU is probably your best value for money and if everything else meets your needs then a graphics boost will extend the life of the machine more than any other option. As ram can be upgraded after market, external storage can be added easily, and if the 8 core is good enough for you now it will probably remain so for a long while.

do you think upgrading the gpu worth it? would it give more performances? I'm tempted to upgrade but more for the RAM than anything but then I'm not sure it's a good calcul. And I don't find any accurate source on how RAM is accurate for ML.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
do you think upgrading the gpu worth it? would it give more performances? I'm tempted to upgrade but more for the RAM than anything but then I'm not sure it's a good calcul. And I don't find any accurate source on how RAM is accurate for ML.

I am asking myself the same questions.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
SSD: If you can live with 150MB/s-1000MB/s speeds for files, then 1-3tb of extra external storage costs almost nothing.

RAM: Unless you need the extra RAM today, then you can probably buy the larger RAM sticks for half the price once you do.

GPU Unless you really need a X-XX % faster GPU today, then you can probably get a XX-XXX % faster eGPU in a few years.

CPU: Imagine your needs in 2023 today, because there no fix for that one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.