Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eriksonc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2018
Is the base model iMac Pro a good deal at $3849? I've been waiting on an iMac refresh like everyone else but this seemed like a good deal rather than wait another few months.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Is the base model iMac Pro a good deal at $3849? I've been waiting on an iMac refresh like everyone else but this seemed like a good deal rather than wait another few months.

For that price, it's absolutely great! Being in Europe, I would go for it in an instance.

Peter_M

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2018
iMac Pro is still worth it. Aside from better CPU, speakers, web camera+mic, cooling/less noise, you also get a much more powerful GPU. Also, with the latest Adrenaline drivers, the Vega GPU is running surprisingly cool. I believe there is some kind of bug in the official Apple (and earlier Adrenaline) drivers making the Vega Pro run unnecessarily hot, as the recent Adrenaline drivers produce far less heat - huge difference. Very happy with my iMac Pro!

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless you can "write it off for business use", the iMac Pro was never really "worth it".

Of course, if one had the $$$, owning one was great for bragging rights .... ! ;)

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Unless you can "write it off for business use", the iMac Pro was never really "worth it".

Of course, if one had the $$$, owning one was great for bragging rights .... ! ;)
Hey man, just because you're not the one running 15 VMs simultaneously, doesn't mean that others don't have use cases that require as many CPU cores and as much RAM as they can possibly get their hands on. Developers, security professionals, and many, many other professionals make complete use of the iMac Pro doing workloads that a regular iMac just cannot do because of it's hardware limitations.

Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley

Heavy Photoshop and FCPx users will disagree big time.
[doublepost=1541695480][/doublepost]
Developers, security professionals, and many, many other professionals make complete use of the iMac Pro doing workloads that a regular iMac just cannot do because of it's hardware limitations.
Yep.

Looking at my next machine. Hoping the budget will stretch to make it an iMac Pro.

I don't need it for my day gig but, for other revenue producing activities... 10 core hits the sweet spot but 14–18 cores for Kontakt and VE Pro would be nice indeed.

One thing nice about living where I live, I have had access to many that I have run test projects on.

Gimme!

Last edited:
Reactions: SecuritySteve

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I wouldn't mind a refreshed design (smaller bezels), face ID unlocking, perhaps smaller size, redesigned adjustable foot, etc.

However, performance wise I love my iMac Pro (a base model). Would buy it again even today.

Reactions: mikehalloran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.