Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibengreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Hello everybody! Thanks for taking the time to help me with my issue. The strangest thing is happening with my Early 2011 iMac running Mavericks. The issue seems to have started when I switched to El Capitan. When I unplug anything from the back it completely restarts itself. It started doing it when I would unplug my external display that's hooked up through a thunderbolt to DVI adapter. Now it is starting to do it when I unplug my USB audio device and cards from the SD slot. It doesn't happen immediately, but takes about 10-20 seconds. It will continue the reboot cycle until I plug whatever I unplugged back in. It will sit at the login screen indefinitely, but as soon as I log in, reboot. Any help in this issue is much appreciated.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Hello everybody! Thanks for taking the time to help me with my issue. The strangest thing is happening with my Early 2011 iMac running Mavericks. The issue seems to have started when I switched to El Capitan. When I unplug anything from the back it completely restarts itself. It started doing it when I would unplug my external display that's hooked up through a thunderbolt to DVI adapter. Now it is starting to do it when I unplug my USB audio device and cards from the SD slot. It doesn't happen immediately, but takes about 10-20 seconds. It will continue the reboot cycle until I plug whatever I unplugged back in. It will sit at the login screen indefinitely, but as soon as I log in, reboot. Any help in this issue is much appreciated.

My suggestion is try creating a new partition on your internal hard drive, install a clean copy of El Capitan on the new partition. Boot to the new partition, use it clean and see if you have the same issues. When you are done with the test, boot back to the original partition and delete the new partition. If the issue does not happen then you have something installed which is causing the issue. If it still happens then you have some sort of hardware issue.

ibengreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Ok, thank you for the response. I have actually done this several times. It may just be time to put it out to pasture. It's my old job computer and they already bought a new one. We actually have another 2011 iMac with a GPU issue and we were considering swapping out the parts to see if we could get it to respond differently. Anyhow, Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.