Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davshev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2022
I have an old iMac vintage 2009. While my son had it he somehow wiped the OS from it. Now it starts with the question mark folder. To make matters worse, I can't seem to get it to respond with a wireless keyboard, so I'm not able to do anything with it. Any ideas about how I can reinstall the OS and/or get a keyboard to connect?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I have an old iMac vintage 2009. While my son had it he somehow wiped the OS from it. Now it starts with the question mark folder. To make matters worse, I can't seem to get it to respond with a wireless keyboard, so I'm not able to do anything with it. Any ideas about how I can reinstall the OS and/or get a keyboard to connect?

1. Create a USB installer of Mac OS High Sierra.
2. Get a USB mouse and Keyboard.
3. The iMac will boot with the USB Installer.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Plugging your keyboard into one of the USB ports on the iMac will allow it to be used as a USB keyboard.
Also, your keyboard's battery charge might be depleted. To check the charge you can try to connect it via Bluetooth to another mac computer. In any event, try recharging it for a few hours.

davshev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2022
Is it possible that the hard drive is dead rather than wiped?
I'm beginning to think that. I created a bootable disk on a flash drive, but when I try to install it the only choice for where to install is the flash drive itself, not the hard drive. See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I'm beginning to think that. I created a bootable disk on a flash drive, but when I try to install it the only choice for where to install is the flash drive itself, not the hard drive. See attached.

Click back and try opening the Disk Utility on the top bar menu.
Look for the HDD and try partitioning it. (Create a volume)
If the HDD is still good, it might have been wiped out even from partition level. Therefore the iMac can't recognize it for OS installation.
You would need to partition it (create a volume), then format the HDD to proper format (APFS, perhaps) before High Sierra installer can recognize it as a volume to install OS onto.

If you can't see the HDD from Disk Utility, then congratulations, you now have the chance to upgrade to an SSD against your will.

To get the iMac recognize Bluetooth devices like keyboards and mouses, they must be paired with it for the first time. And this can only be done after entering Mac desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.