Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
ok, so I've had my 2015 iMac 5K now for a couple of weeks and have run into something, which doesn't seem too uncommon but nevertheless there doesn't seem to be a firm fix for it?

If I choose to turn off the display after a certain time once the screensaver kicks in, I can not wake the darn thing again and only a hard reboot fixes it. 'Funny' thing is that the green iSight light is on when display is off.

Calling Support will only mean listening to them asking me to reinstall OS X, which I'm not really keen on doing - hence I come here to ask for advise =)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
ok, so I've had my 2015 iMac 5K now for a couple of weeks and have run into something, which doesn't seem too uncommon but nevertheless there doesn't seem to be a firm fix for it?

If I choose to turn off the display after a certain time once the screensaver kicks in, I can not wake the darn thing again and only a hard reboot fixes it. 'Funny' thing is that the green iSight light is on when display is off.

Calling Support will only mean listening to them asking me to reinstall OS X, which I'm not really keen on doing - hence I come here to ask for advise =)
Applecare won't talk to you any more until you do (or say you've done) a reinstall. Then, you can pursue it further. Are you sure it won't wake up, or does it just take a long time? Mine would take up to 90 seconds to wake!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Applecare won't talk to you any more until you do (or say you've done) a reinstall. Then, you can pursue it further. Are you sure it won't wake up, or does it just take a long time? Mine would take up to 90 seconds to wake!

Thanks, I've tried pressing keys and mouse clicks etc for like a minute or so, removed all USB-devices. This is downright ridiculous

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Well, in my view there a few issues with the new iMacs. If you think this is bad, none of my USB3.0 devices are recognised after waking from sleep. They all have to be unplugged and replugged in every time!
This is all unacceptable.

torquer

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014

My wife's 2014 retina iMac had that same problem. It seemed like OS X updates (it was enrolled in beta) seemed to help but one day it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. Hauled it down to the Apple Store and they ended up replacing the logic board under warranty. Works like a champ now. Hopefully this isn't the problem you're happening but just in case.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
When stuck....Use the keyboard shortcut to sleep the computer. Press once Command–Option–Power button. The hit another key to wake.

Happens to me but I always attributed to old program my living desktop.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
When stuck....Use the keyboard shortcut to sleep the computer. Press once Command–Option–Power button. The hit another key to wake.

Happens to me but I always attributed to old program my living desktop.
Ehhh Power Button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.