Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I think some of the sensors in this iMac9,1 are malfunctioning causing some fans to run at full speed.

Years ago, fans first started running full speed intermittently but soon always did. I think it has to do with dust because i once fixed it (temporarily) by blowing and sucking with a vac.

I've been having to use software to set the fans to minimum speed.

I'm going to open it and clean it out soon (was going to do long time ago but never got around to do it) and put in an SSD while i'm in there.

MacsFanControl doesn't show anything weird, but Psensor shows many more sensors and some appear to be malfunctioning:
Psensor Screenshot from 2016-09-25 14:47:33.png

Video: https://a.pomf.cat/jgcoqt.mp4

The sensors are malfunctioning right? Do you think it is caused by dust? Will cleaning it solve the problem? or is there permanent damage?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Well I opened it up to install a new SSD; I expected it to be super dusty but there wasn't must dust.. I cleaned out what I could with a brush and gas duster. Fans still run full speed. Maybe there's more dust behind the parts. Or maybe the issue is not dust. Maybe the sensors are actually bad and need to be replaced? What could be wrong with the sensors? Nobody knows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.