Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Hi! Just wondering what everyone's views are on the effect of image quality based on transferring images through USB, Firewire 400 or Firewire 800.

Speed is not an issue, only image quality!

thanks

Keri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
So you do not believe there is any possibility of loss of image quality using either USB or Firewire?

I have two associates who feel strongly that there is.

Of course, one swears by USB. The other swears by Firewire 400....

My new computer only has USB or Firewire 800......

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
A digital image is really just a bunch of 1's and 0's. Transfering over USB FireWire or via an sd slot will result. In the same image being placed on your computer.

Knock your friends heads together.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
So you do not believe there is any possibility of loss of image quality using either USB or Firewire?

I have two associates who feel strongly that there is.

Of course, one swears by USB. The other swears by Firewire 400....

My new computer only has USB or Firewire 800......

The only time it matters is when doing video editing. In that case, firewire is superior to USB, but not because of image quality, but because of the way the two interfaces transmit data (stream vs. packets). Again, this has no effect on image quality, just on how smooth the editing process is.

For still photos or any other type of file, the interface doesn't matter at all.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you are really concerned, check the CRC number for all of the files (it is fastest to do this with file comparison software). Identical CRC numbers equals identical files. If your interface is changing your digital data, everything will quickly go to hell on any data through that interface, I call BS on your friends.

There are exceptions to this such as data off an audio CD, some bits may get missed and it just moves on, but bit accurate reproduction is not critical for most people when they are listening to music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.